1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AC5300, AX88U or AX11000 which is best

Discussion in 'ASUS AX Routers & Adapters' started by AX-Router, Mar 6, 2019.

1. AX-Router

AX-Router Occasional Visitor

Hi,
    I am seriously looking for an upgrade from my old Linksys router
    I was reading different reviews and issues related to the above ASUS routers in this forum couldn't make a final choice.
    I want to use this router for my home with multiple wireless devices (not for gaming)
    Can someone please recommend the best choice among the 3 models for the best performance and less trouble
    Thanks in advance!

2. greggy101

greggy101 Regular Contributor

definitely AC5300

AX-Router likes this.
  3. EmeraldDeer

EmeraldDeer Very Senior Member

Gonna run Merlin?

4. PhantomRay

PhantomRay Occasional Visitor

If you want best performance for everyday wireless devices (running wifi AC and N, like phones, computers, smart home devices), and not using any NAS:

GT-AC5300 is the best for now (not RT-AC5300, unless you want merlin firmware and I believe the latest GT-AC5300 stock firmware would be more than good enough for regular users).

AX88U and AX11000 have the next gen AX chipset Broadcom BCM43684, which theoretically would work better with AX clients, but I believe there is none in the market yet. The AX router works poorly with AC clients now.

Refer to my post about the speedtest results for AX11000 vs AC5300:
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...periences-discussion.50396/page-4#post-469961

And a fellow member of this forum also confirmed his AX88U is having performance hit comparing to his AC68U:
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-experiences-discussion.49427/page-9#post-470175

The Wireless Lan on AX11000 is very impressive, refer to this post:
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-experiences-discussion.49427/page-9#post-470151
    But that only benefits you if you are using NAS or any other wireless LAN.

Hope these info helps :)

AX-Router likes this.
  5. PhantomRay

I know it feels bad to buy in new gadget when it is reaching the end of lifecycle, but who knows when AX would become mainstream...

I personally am going to keep the AX11000 for future proof and meanwhile to buy a AC5300 to have wifi speed that pleases me. (I need two routers at home anyway)

6. AX-Router

AX-Router Occasional Visitor

Thanks PhantomRay,
    I thought AX might have been better choice.
    I was going thru your links to get an idea what others say about AC5300

I got a mixed result and still hard to make a choice. I have seen lots of complaints about GT-AC5300 as well.
    As I mentioned earlier, not using for any games or NAS or media bridge. Just connecting couple of computers and other wireless devices
    My ultimate requirement is speed and stability..
    Till we get the AX versions as a mainstream in the market, do you have any other suggestions
    Thanks again!

7. Tech Focus

Tech Focus New Around Here

I have two ax11000 in Aimesh mode. After tweaking, network runs stable and fast without a reboot for a week.

jionnybruges and L&LD like this.
  8. PhantomRay

GT-AC5300 had its struggle but I think nowadays it is pretty solid. Are those complaints you saw were from few month back or even longer time ago? I would not hesitate to buy AC5300, that’s given I already have a future proof AX11000... so...

I used the single AC5300 for a week, no complaints and almost no issues at all. I only had issue with my soundbar’s wireless subwoofer interferes with my router when in close proximity.