What's new

AC5300, AX88U or AX11000 which is best

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AX-Router

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I am seriously looking for an upgrade from my old Linksys router
I was reading different reviews and issues related to the above ASUS routers in this forum couldn't make a final choice.
I want to use this router for my home with multiple wireless devices (not for gaming)
Can someone please recommend the best choice among the 3 models for the best performance and less trouble
Thanks in advance!

Gonna run Merlin?

Hi,
I am seriously looking for an upgrade from my old Linksys router
I was reading different reviews and issues related to the above ASUS routers in this forum couldn't make a final choice.
I want to use this router for my home with multiple wireless devices (not for gaming)
Can someone please recommend the best choice among the 3 models for the best performance and less trouble
Thanks in advance!

If you want best performance for everyday wireless devices (running wifi AC and N, like phones, computers, smart home devices), and not using any NAS:

GT-AC5300 is the best for now (not RT-AC5300, unless you want merlin firmware and I believe the latest GT-AC5300 stock firmware would be more than good enough for regular users).

AX88U and AX11000 have the next gen AX chipset Broadcom BCM43684, which theoretically would work better with AX clients, but I believe there is none in the market yet. The AX router works poorly with AC clients now.

Refer to my post about the speedtest results for AX11000 vs AC5300:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...periences-discussion.50396/page-4#post-469961

And a fellow member of this forum also confirmed his AX88U is having performance hit comparing to his AC68U:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-experiences-discussion.49427/page-9#post-470175

The Wireless Lan on AX11000 is very impressive, refer to this post:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-experiences-discussion.49427/page-9#post-470151
But that only benefits you if you are using NAS or any other wireless LAN.

Hope these info helps :)

If you want best performance for everyday wireless devices (running wifi AC and N, like phones, computers, smart home devices), and not using any NAS:

GT-AC5300 is the best for now (not RT-AC5300, unless you want merlin firmware and I believe the latest GT-AC5300 stock firmware would be more than good enough for regular users).

AX88U and AX11000 have the next gen AX chipset Broadcom BCM43684, which theoretically would work better with AX clients, but I believe there is none in the market yet. The AX router works poorly with AC clients now.

Refer to my post about the speedtest results for AX11000 vs AC5300:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...periences-discussion.50396/page-4#post-469961

And a fellow member of this forum also confirmed his AX88U is having performance hit comparing to his AC68U:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-experiences-discussion.49427/page-9#post-470175

The Wireless Lan on AX11000 is very impressive, refer to this post:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-experiences-discussion.49427/page-9#post-470151
But that only benefits you if you are using NAS or any other wireless LAN.

Hope these info helps :)

I know it feels bad to buy in new gadget when it is reaching the end of lifecycle, but who knows when AX would become mainstream...

I personally am going to keep the AX11000 for future proof and meanwhile to buy a AC5300 to have wifi speed that pleases me. (I need two routers at home anyway)

I know it feels bad to buy in new gadget when it is reaching the end of lifecycle, but who knows when AX would become mainstream...

I personally am going to keep the AX11000 for future proof and meanwhile to buy a AC5300 to have wifi speed that pleases me. (I need two routers at home anyway)

Thanks PhantomRay,
I thought AX might have been better choice.
I was going thru your links to get an idea what others say about AC5300

I got a mixed result and still hard to make a choice. I have seen lots of complaints about GT-AC5300 as well.
As I mentioned earlier, not using for any games or NAS or media bridge. Just connecting couple of computers and other wireless devices
My ultimate requirement is speed and stability..
Till we get the AX versions as a mainstream in the market, do you have any other suggestions
Thanks again!

Thanks PhantomRay,
I thought AX might have been better choice.
I was going thru your links to get an idea what others say about AC5300

I got a mixed result and still hard to make a choice. I have seen lots of complaints about GT-AC5300 as well.
As I mentioned earlier, not using for any games or NAS or media bridge. Just connecting couple of computers and other wireless devices
My ultimate requirement is speed and stability..
Till we get the AX versions as a mainstream in the market, do you have any other suggestions
Thanks again!

GT-AC5300 had its struggle but I think nowadays it is pretty solid. Are those complaints you saw were from few month back or even longer time ago? I would not hesitate to buy AC5300, that’s given I already have a future proof AX11000... so...

I used the single AC5300 for a week, no complaints and almost no issues at all. I only had issue with my soundbar’s wireless subwoofer interferes with my router when in close proximity.

Hi I found this thread after posting in another.

I find myself upgrading about a year after a new wifi spec and devices come out. I feel a year is enough to work out the kinks. I did attempt to jump on the mesh bandwagon and get a velop in particular but that was a mess as I think I did it too soon. So I went back to my older Asus ac router I got in 2014 or so. I think it's a the ac87u . It's about time for an upgrade as the router is starting to give me some issue.

Question: Its a toss up between the rt ax88u or the gt ax11000. I notice the ax88u have gotten a bit more updates. WHY? Why leave the more expensive model behind? Or is it already more stable? I'm a casual gamer nothing serious. Stability and reliable connection is absolutely #1 as I have an in home office. Range and signal strength #2 as I live in a multi floor house and I depend on wifi calling as cell service is hit and miss. I also like being future proof so that is why I'm leaning towards ax models. Or Should I wait a bit longer.

Thanks.

If you want to use Merlin firmware (with all its features) on your router go with RT, he doesnt support GT line.

Just got my AX11000 online Sunday. Setup was a breeze. After another friend told of his experiences with AIMesh and non Mfr extenders, I decided to try out my two NG EX extenders in concert with the AX. Must say, easy setup and the two EXs connected with out issues. There NG app see's both and lets me know which one to choose from.

I love the fact that the stock FW detects each of my devices host and product names correctly with out too many "unknown" device being seen. Amazing that other router mfrs can't do this well for some reason.

Gamed last nite on Division 2, no issues and gaming was great with two consoles playing same game at the same time.

Going to enjoy this AX for a while. Flexible an solid so far. Will be testing out AX wifi soon.

I was looking for the AX88 since it has 8 lan ports...and my actual router is the AC88.
Did the performance got fixed or corrected since then on the AX88??

I was looking for the AX88 since it has 8 lan ports...and my actual router is the AC88.
Did the performance got fixed or corrected since then on the AX88??

RT-AX88U is currently the best ASUS model with Asuswrt-Merlin support, but if you are happy with the performance of your RT-AC88U, then there is no point to upgrade. WIFI 6 is still work-in-progress and most current WIFI 6 routers do not support all features, including RT-AX88U. Better wait for the price to drop, then upgrade, if needed. It's too expensive at the moment.

RT-AX88U is currently the best ASUS model with Asuswrt-Merlin support, but if you are happy with the performance of your RT-AC88U, then there is no point to upgrade. WIFI 6 is still work-in-progress and most current WIFI 6 routers do not support all features, including RT-AX88U. Better wait for the price to drop, then upgrade, if needed. It's too expensive at the moment.
The issues I have with my AC88U is that when everyone is connected... CPU goes to 100% and locks for 20-30secs... then stabilize.. but streaming starts cutting or lagging.

The issues I have with my AC88U is that when everyone is connected... CPU goes to 100% and locks for 20-30secs... then stabilize.. but streaming starts cutting or lagging.

What is your ISP speed and now many clients is "everyone"?

I forgot the "u" AC88u is a router!
AC88U is still nothing than part of a type-name.

DSL-AC88U is a modem-router
RT-AC88U is a very different router only
GT-... ROG line
BRT-... business line
4G-... LTE line

Last edited:
What is your ISP speed and now many clients is "everyone"?
ISP Speed is 500Mbps/500Mbps
Everyone is 12 Wifi connections (Cell+Tablets) and 18 Wired (including 7 NAS + ShieldTV + Xbox One + 2X SmartTV)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!