What's new

AC5300 Device list constantly resetting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dafergu2

New Around Here
Hi all,

I just replaced my Netgear X10 with a Linksys AC9500 and then ultimately an ASUS RT5300. I'm very happy with a lot of the features in the stock firmware for the RT5300, but one strange thing I'm seeing is that the device list constantly drops all of the devices out of the list and rebuilds itself. I don't see disconnections corresponding to this so it seems to be UI related. I see this both on the app and the web gui.

I've tried doing a factory reset to no avail.

Has anyone else seen this? Anything I can do to prevent it? I was pondering putting Merlin on the router but I also want AIMesh in the next month or so.

Thoughts?

Probably 'normal' for now. The client list has been less than stable. Be sure to factory default reset the router first before you configure it.

OE

Thanks OE. I tried resetting it more than once and no luck. I've also taken a gander at the code off the client list and whew boy, the code sure isn't written to be easily followed. I can definitely see why the list is unstable. I'd love to take a whack at fixing it but I'm not sure I have the time to set up my own dev VM and get stuff compiling.

I know one thing I DID see that was strange is that the iOS app showed an offline D-Link client of which I know nothing about. I MIGHT have something on my network that was has a mac address with a d-link prefix but I don't see it now that I've done a factory reset and I've been looking for it.

Would you recommend trying another factory reset, and if so, is there a way I can easily script all my settings? I'm fine with hopping in an ssh session and running a script (I assume I can scp to the device as well).

Also, as a side note, is AIMesh going to be supported with Merlin anytime soon? And is there a page/pinned post with recommend AC5300 settings tweaks to get the best performance? I've got smartconnect on for all 3 bands and I'm wondering if that's giving me grief. I hate having more than one SSID.

>>Would you recommend trying another factory reset?

Only after each firmware upgrade until you can trust otherwise.

>>is there a way I can easily script all my settings?

Some users here have scripted this, but this is beyond me... and not worth considering for my usage.

>>Also, as a side note, is AIMesh going to be supported with Merlin anytime soon?

Soon? I doubt it. AiMesh is under development... no one would want to chase that process around with their own customization. And Merlin may not deem the AC5300 build to be worth the effort, so it may not be at the front of the line when it comes to adding AiMesh to Merlin-supported routers.

>>And is there a page/pinned post with recommend AC5300 settings tweaks to get the best performance?

Best performance is relative to one's usage. Perhaps someone here has something for you. I've only posted a baseline configuration for my 86U with the usual security tweaks.

>>I've got Smart Connect on for all 3 bands and I'm wondering if that's giving me grief.

I am using Smart Connect defaults without any noticeable issues. I would accept Smart Connect as it is and see how it affects node band steering for your wireless clients. The dodgy client list is likely a separate issue. AC5300 owners may post otherwise.

As I understand it, if you add an AiMesh node with wireless backhaul, one 5.0 GHz band will be dedicated to the backhaul.

OE

Also, as a side note, is AIMesh going to be supported with Merlin anytime soon?

At this time, I have no plan to add AiMesh.

At this time, I have no plan to add AiMesh.
disappointing but I totally understand and agree w/ you. I bought the GT5300 not b/c I'm into gaming but b/c it has double the ram, ethports, and cores. The AIMesh on it (imo) is very unreliable. What I really don't understand is why all the manuals refer to the older AC5300 screenshots and settings.

Last edited:
Has anyone else seen this? Anything I can do to prevent it? I was pondering putting Merlin on the router but I also want AIMesh in the next month or so.

Thoughts?

Yeap, normal behavior. It rebuilds the list everytime you access the page.

Sent from Nokia 7 Plus with Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!