What's new

AC5300 with RT-N66U as Repeater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Syngh

New Around Here
Hello Folks,

New to the forum and not much of a networking expert, but I have tried to find some advice/direction as to what I am attempting to do and have not been able.

My primary router Asus AC5300 (stock firmware) and at the opposite ends of the house on the second floor we have weak signal issues with the wireless signal on all bands.

I was thinking of using my old RT-N66U (stock firmware) router as a repeater to solve the problem. Does this make sense and is it advisable or not since the routers have different in terms of their bands.

As a side note, maybe completely irrelevant - for my wired devices (TV, Xbox, and certain HTPCs) I'm using 2 x TP-Link TL-PA8030P AV1200 kits (4 total power line adapters). Not sure if this would factor into setting up the repeater.

Any direction anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you are happy with the way the powerline adapters work, you might feed the N66U the same way and set it up as an access point instead of a repeater. Repeater mode loses half the bandwidth.