What's new

AC56U - No Bandwidth Monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cams Campbell

New Around Here
Hi everyone, total n00b here! I just installed 384.6 and it went swimmingly. Unfortunately I'm not getting any readings under Adaptive QoS > WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor or Web History. This was my main reason for tinkering in the first place, as there are devices on my network that are totally saturating the bandwidth and I'm trying to figure it out.

Devices are showing up and getting IP through DHCP on the AC56U, but nothing in the monitoring section.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• bandwidth monitor.PNG
    bandwidth monitor.PNG
    411.9 KB · Views: 884
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    364.8 KB · Views: 301
In the interest of security, you may want to use @john9527's fork (and even consider the Dev channel builds too) over this very old firmware.

I'm not 100% sure if the features you want/need are present, but at least it is patched and ready for amtm + scripts. :)

Reactions: Gar
In the interest of security, you may want to use @john9527's fork (and even consider the Dev channel builds too) over this very old firmware.

I'm not 100% sure if the features you want/need are present, but at least it is patched and ready for amtm + scripts. :)

Oh, I didn’t realise it was old firmware. My needs are simple - I want to monitor bandwidth on a per-device basis. I’m happy to buy hardware if I need to, but I don’t even know where to start. The empty monitor section on Merlin looks perfect and I got really excited when I first saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that firmware was released on July 25, 2018.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC56U/Release/

What are your ISP speeds? Are you achieving them wired and wireless right now (at least with a single client device)?

I don't use that feature so I can't point you to a good working solution, sorry. But the following suggestions should all have this feature available (I'm sure I'll be told otherwise if I'm wrong). :)

The least expensive router that you can buy that supports RMerlin firmware is the RT-AC66U_B1.

Going up the ladder, the next recommended models I would suggest researching is the RT-AC86U, the RT-AX58U, and the RT-AX88U.

To help with your current setup, you may want to see the suggestions in the M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides which can be found in the link in my signature.

The following may also help to get your router back to a good/known state too.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326

Doing a full reset to factory defaults is recommended after flashing RMerlin's firmware to ensure that the new defaults, variables and other microcode is set and working as intended with the new code.

HTH. :)

Thanks. The router's working fine and I am getting the right speeds. I have my FTTC modem (Billion BiPAC 8800NL R2) with an Ethernet cable going from LAN port to LAN port on the ASUS. I can't get it to work using the WAN port for some reason and I wondered whether that would be what was preventing the monitoring component of the Merlin firmware from working?

Thanks. The router's working fine and I am getting the right speeds. I have my FTTC modem (Billion BiPAC 8800NL R2) with an Ethernet cable going from LAN port to LAN port on the ASUS. I can't get it to work using the WAN port for some reason and I wondered whether that would be what was preventing the monitoring component of the Merlin firmware from working?
Yes that will be the reason. The Bandwidth Monitor measures traffic as it routed through the router (LAN to WAN and vice versa). So the Asus needs to be used as a router, but you are using it as an access point with your Billion acting as a router.

Thanks Colin. You were right! It took some figuring out, but once I put the Billion modem into Bridge Mode and set up PPPoE on the ASUS, the reporting started working! Now I can see when iCloud Photos is killing my bandwidth and on what device!

Thank you all for your help figuring this out!

@Swistheater has a 384.13 build for the 56U you might try. PM him if you like. I never got around to trying it.

The 56U is a sweet thing.