What's new

AC66U B1 (AIMesh node) is dead. What would be a good replacement? (I can't spend $300 as I've seen on Amazon)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zolt

Occasional Visitor
So I finally found my issue I've been facing for a little while now.
I have 2 RT-AC66U B1 routers set in AIMesh mode.
I was having all kind of disconnect, and it seems it was due to my main unit - it's also the oldest of the two.

I've been pushing this for too long now, but today, I decided to swap the units : the AIMesh node became the Main router.
The older one, I tried to reset, and started having all kind of issues. I ended up using the Firmware Restoration tool from ASUS, but that failed - every time I tried, it failled at ~40% of uploading the FW. Good assumption that my disconnects were due to this unit...

The house is large, and I really want to have an AIMesh setup or something equivalent.
What do you suggest for an affordable AIMesh compatible router that I could use with my existing unit?
Possibly, the RT-AC66U could go back to being the AIMesh node and the new router the main if it's more advanced.
...or are other brand compatible with AIMesh maybe?

Worst comes to worst, I'll just get another of these units - I really like them and the main one has been running for a couple years and just started having issues - it also survived 2 moves :)

Open for suggestions - thanks for your input!

Cheers!

Thinking about it, it is the same unit I had some configuration issue and had a hard time resetting back in early March...
I should have seen the sign! :S

59 dollars on newegg ebay right now.

Thanks - with the shipping, it's about what I can get here in Canada.
Nonetheless, thanks for looking it up! That is greatly appreciated!

I'm still debating if I should get something newer, or rely on this which is getting a bit old, but as mentionned, the price point may be the decisive factor.

Cheers!

Having the need to get WiFi around a tight (shielding) corner, I originally bought an RP-AX56 (AX1800), which exceeded my expectations (after an XD4 that was a disaster and returned to Amazon). Having just upgraded to Gigabit broadband I've now updated to an RP-AX58 (AX3000). In the UK, these units are comparatively cheap, and they're a little future-proofed. If you can't run a cable to an Access Point, these are great little units and seem much smarter than any other devices I've seen used as AiMesh slaves.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!