What's new

AC66U limitations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tsunami2311

So I know with QOS of any kind on Speed limit is about 100mbit down. and HW acceleration off due to IPtrafic (per ip monitoring) enabled, my line update to 200mbit, and I did test with QOS off and the router seem to cap at about 160mbit ? IF i disable IPtrafic (per ip monitoring) and renable HW acceleration it will like do 208mbit+

Is this right? basically IF i want to use QOS which I wont disable and or use IPtrafic (per ip monitoring) with 200mbit connection the AC66U will not cut it ? and unless I buy a router say 88u or 5300u the 60$ payed for the 100mibt more is never gona be used?

Last edited:
yah I just noticed that Bandwidth limiter does not disable HW acceleration but Traditional does, but even with IPtrafic (per ip monitoring) disable and QOS be it traditional or Bandwidth limiter on router maxes out at about 125mbit?

So the question stands if I want to use QOS of any kind even with HW acceleration enabled I need faster router?

anything that needs to inspect packets first disables HW accel. Since CTF (HW accel) is closed source, only Broadcom knows when it gets disabled. The AC66U is pretty "old" anyways and has a weak CPU. You should choose a router based on your needs. If you do a lot of QoS/VPN, then go for the one with the fastest CPU

I need QOS cause people stream videos and I game online and 2 dont play nice waywith QOS or Bandwidth limiting of some kind and I use IPtrafic (per ip monitoring) to track who is doing what.

The 88u or 5300( which i think is over kill) look good? and connect get upgrade to 300+ both would be able to handle it with QOS on?

So the question stands if I want to use QOS of any kind even with HW acceleration enabled I need faster router?
Correct. I was in the same situation as you. I had an N66U (which is almost the same as the AC66U) and the maximum I could get with QoS enabled was ~130Mbps. I had to upgrade to an AC68U.

Even an RT-AC68U (and any of its derived models) would do. It should be able to get over 300 Mbps with NAT acceleration disabled.

but how future proof is it?

I was mostly looking at 88u/5300 cause it wifi range should much better that and it they both have lifetime WTF attached to them. which should be helpfull with lower pings in online games. and MU-MIMO look intresting, I am open to suggestions but I want to keep using asus routers and merlin fw.

and is it true asus routers with wtf client only support faction of the game the actual support?

No idea, I always considered the whole wtfast to be more a gimmick than anything, as ultimately it goes down to routing and peering between you and the game server. There's no guarantee that the route between you and their servers will be really better than the route between you and the gaming server itself.

You'll have to check their website for support details, they used to have a webpage dedicated to their router client.

I have tried such services before and your right it down to the routing, but they do work how much ping diffrence there is varies , it was just not worth it to from subing stand point, but if it included in router that is not issue.

I mostly want feature proof router that can do atlest 200 mbit with QOS and per IP monitor on seeing as 300mbit is max of ISP it being able to do that and much much more would be great.

Seeing as i dont use wifi on my stuff especial gaming Wifi range and speed dont matter much to me, cause would still limit wifi to 20mbit currently i have limited at 10mbit cause 15+ wifi devices all going at once with full speed access would over work the cpu, current range cover the inside of the house out on the deck it does not though

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!