What's new

AC66u Stopped working today - all of a sudden NO INTERNET

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

F_S

New Around Here
Hey guys, my recently purchased Asus RT-AC66u router disconnected from the Internet all of sudden. All the lights are on so it is working and I can even login to the admin console page (192.168.1.1) but the computer gets no Internet connectivity (yellow LAN sign) . Diagnosing/repairing the connection does nothing. I tried rebooting the router a couple of times, used different cables, rebooting PC to make sure it's not causing any issue but nothing made a difference.

I had been thinking about trying the Merlin firmware so I got to try that too today because of this issue. However, this custom firmware (version 3.0.0.4_374.38_2) didn't help either - again, the router settings page still works.

I am glad I didn't get rid of my old and trusted DIR-655, so right now I am using it to make this post. I would really appreciate any help I can get to have the Asus router running back again.

PS: the date on the log is Dec 31 2013 for some reason and there is also a reminder under the DATE/TIME setting location to sync to NTP server which obviously I can't do since the net doesn't work when I connect using Asus router

You can also try to disconnect the modem for at least 10 to 20 minutes or longer. This will force your ISP to issue new credentials that the Asus is no longer recognizing?

I would also recommend the restore to defaults step too (via the web gui).

Tried the factory default restore option but after running through the setup process I still have no connection even though the router web page does say "Internet Status: Connected". Also, factory default didn't change it back to Asus firmware, still says "Merlin build".

PS: still get the message about time out of sync ... mentioning this just in case it might have something to do with the problem

System Time: Fri, Dec 31 19:03:57 2010 (GMT-05:00)

* Remind: Did not synchronize your system time with NTP server yet.

You may want to try to clone your MAC address of the DIR-655 or your laptop.

You may want to try to clone your MAC address of the DIR-655 or your laptop.

Could you elaborate as to what you mean by this? DIR-655 is a separate physical entity with a different MAC id than Asus AC66u

Also, I am using a PC with 2 separate GBit cards (one built into mobo and the other external)

On the WAN, Internet Connection page on the Asus router, look for the MAC Address field and enter the MAC address of the router which works.

Could you elaborate as to what you mean by this? DIR-655 is a separate physical entity with a different MAC id than Asus AC66u

Also, I am using a PC with 2 separate GBit cards (one built into mobo and the other external)

It's not uncommon for beginners to have trouble when switching routers with a cable internet service.

1. Did you unplug your cable modem from electrical outlet for 20 minutes? If it has a battery backup, you might have to remove that too.
2. Disconnect your 655 from the modem. Unplug your cable modem from electrical outlet for 20 minutes.
3. Plug cable modem back in and connect your asus.
4. If that doesn't work, then google "MAC address clone" or check the online PDF manual
5. If you're still having problems, call your ISP and they'll walk you through it

The December 31 in log is normal. Everyone has that until router connects to internet.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys, it's working. I cloned the MAC but then it couldn't get the DHCP lease and luckily enough a wizard walk through process appeared and after turning off the modem and restarting the Asus router is back to work. Just did a speed test for fun (not to show off obviously) :D I guess I'll keep Merlin firmware now until I get a reason to go back to Asus.

3247315169.png

I still don't know why this issue occurred as I didn't even touch any settings, the modem or the router today. Overall, had a lot more expectations from this router but it's proving to be no match against DIR-655's solid performance. Even with its mere wireless N (150mbps max) I am able to get solid 10-12MB/sec over 5 feet distance in my room yet AC66u only manages 6MB/sec or so (~50Mbit/sec). The wired performance leaves a lot to be desired as well when DIR-655 is easily pulling 90MBytes/sec continuously without any hiccups, the Asus AC66u is ~70MB/sec and as if it's gonna melt with all the heat. I guess, 5Ghz is the only thing I've gained as for as routing performance goes - along with lots of other features like DLNA, USB etc.

. Just did a speed test for fun (not to show off obviously) :D

3247315169.png

OT but that is one very nice DOCSIS 3.0 connection you got there. its crazy because optimum has the same upload bandwidth available as shaw in most scenarios i have seen, yet shaws max in most areas is 5mbps. so sad

what i have seen optimum use is 2X6.4MHz channels and shaw uses 4X3.2MHz channels. total of 56mbit per node. thats insane that optimum will give you over 2/3 of that. and my isp wont give me more then 1/10. do you know if your on 2 6.4MHz Channels FS? and also what kind of modem is giving you those lovely speeds and low pings.

I have the Arris TM822 Modem and looking at its status webpage I can see 8 downstream channels and 2 upstream channels. However, the modem supports 8 x 4 so there is some room for growth if OOL decides to compete with FiOS a bit more.

The speedtest was done at night so it shows the best possible speed I can get but even during other times I can manage 30Mbit/sec upload and 90Mbit/sec or more download.

thanks for the reply. ya that is awesome. its just crazy that your provider will give you 40 of the 56mbps available on the node. and the most my provider will give me is 5mbps. but atleast in the areas where they have 250 down they have 15mbps up. thats still not even half of your 40mbps tho.

realistically they could add 2 more 6.4MHz channels at 64 QAM and double the bandwidth on the node to 112 mbps. thats crazy to think it would be possible to get a 100mbps symmetrical connection on DOCSIS 3. i wonder if thats ever been done before.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!