What's new

AC66U Strange speed behavior

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scope021

Occasional Visitor
After upgrading my internet service to 200/10, I've noticed some strange behavior with my AC66u (currently on 380.68_4 firmware, though problem existed with older firmware as well). Initially, I was only getting download speeds of about 140mbps max on all devices, both on wifi and wired to the router. However, when wired directly to the cable modem, I'd get 220mbps on my laptop. So I wired the same laptop to the router, shut off wifi, and rebooted the router. Suddenly, I'm getting 220mbps from the router as well. In fact, I see that I'm getting close to that speed on all devices, wireless and wired. I disconnect the wired laptop, reconnect it on wifi (its an 802.11n device), and the speed goes back down to about 100mbps. I check my other devices and the max I'm getting on any device now is 140mpbs. I reconnect the wire and turn off wifi on the laptop, but can only get 140. Even if the laptop is turned off, all other devices are stuck with the lower download speed. I reboot the router again, and everything goes back to over 200mpbs. As soon as I connect the laptop to the router wirelessly, the speed falls again on all connected devices and will not go back up until I reboot (or cycle on/off either wifi radio), even if the laptop is no longer connected. Sysinfo shows that hardware acceleration is enabled in all cases. The situation occurs as soon as the laptop is wirelessly connected to the router even for a moment, regardless of if its on the 2.4 or 5g band. Other devices don't seem to cause this issue, only the laptop (Macbook Pro), though I haven't thoroughly tested that. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!