What's new

AC66U vs AC66U B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MjWoneR

Occasional Visitor
I understand that the B1 is the newer model, and similar to AC68 in hardware.
But the older AC66U is wall mountable and comes in white to make it more discreet on the white wall. Maybe I could go for a white AC68 if it is worth losing wall mounting.

I’m on a 100/10 fibre connection, medium sized apartment, the iMac will be connected via Ethernet for all torrent traffic, then there are 2-3 iPhones, an iPad and a PS4. (TV, AVR, Harmony hub, Raspberry Pi too but not much traffic there).
I do some large video transfers locally to an iPhone X every now and then.

Don’t know if this can be answered, but nothing to lose by asking. What kind of improvements the B1(or AC68W) would provide over the AC66U in my case?

The AC66U and N66U are long in the tooth and use old MIPS processors running at 600MHz. The RT-AC68U uses a (slightly) newer dual-core processor running at 1000MHz. The MIPS processors are not capable of running newer features like Adaptive QoS. Likewise CPU intensive tasks such as VPN will be held back by the slow CPU.

I have to wonder how much longer Asus will support the N66U and AC66U given their age and limitations.

I have to wonder how much longer Asus will support the N66U and AC66U given their age and limitations.

The RT-N16 was released in 2009 and only just reached the end of the road. So I'd say there's still some life left in at least the RT-N66U, provided its price keeps dropping to sit between the 50-100$ range.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!