What's new

AC66u Web Interface Slow.. not slow... REALLY slow (2-3 min to load)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jake1164

Occasional Visitor
I have an odd issue that started after running 374_32 for the last 2 or 3 weeks and then the web interface started to take a min per page to load so I updated to 374_33 and the problem is worse. I have tried multiple browsers without any difference. I rebooted the router and tried again. I turned the router off for 5 min and tried again.

Opening up chrome dev tools I see that the index_style.css failed to load after 2.4 min. I also see that the get failed on images/new_ui/midup_bg.png and loading.gif while trying to access Tools_Sysinfo.asp.

Once I got to the page the CPU load average is 0, 0 ,0 with 187.13MB of free memory.

Now the odd part.. I booted up my macbook and using chrome on the macbook the web interface works flawlessly and is really fast (and looks really nice btw).

So why would it stop working on my PC? I disabled all the chrome apps (ad block plus).

I am at a loss here.

I have an odd issue that started after running 374_32 for the last 2 or 3 weeks and then the web interface started to take a min per page to load so I updated to 374_33 and the problem is worse. I have tried multiple browsers without any difference. I rebooted the router and tried again. I turned the router off for 5 min and tried again.

Opening up chrome dev tools I see that the index_style.css failed to load after 2.4 min. I also see that the get failed on images/new_ui/midup_bg.png and loading.gif while trying to access Tools_Sysinfo.asp.

Once I got to the page the CPU load average is 0, 0 ,0 with 187.13MB of free memory.

Now the odd part.. I booted up my macbook and using chrome on the macbook the web interface works flawlessly and is really fast (and looks really nice btw).

So why would it stop working on my PC? I disabled all the chrome apps (ad block plus).

I am at a loss here.

Check the cabling between the PC and the router. Also make sure it's not a security suite on your computer causing issues.

If you enabled jumbo frames, disable it. Make sure you don't have a QoS rule interfering with that PC.

I had a similar problem running est nod I had to exclude ip for Ids and firewall

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks for the tip, Krum!

I have an RT-AC66U and been having a problem with the web browser interface not loading properly, or taking a long time to load, for several weeks now. I tried several things, including multiple browsers, and could not get it to work properly. Thanks to the tip from Krum, I was able to correlate the start of the issues with my upgrade of ESET NOD32 to v7. I have added the router's LAN IP to the exclusion list for NOD32 and the web browser interface is working perfectly again. Excellent! :D

I have a similar problem. The Web interface crashed completly when accessing the administration menue (i am not sure which of them). Loading takes then foreever and only a router reset helps. This occurs using wireless acees or wired access. and not every time. I use two RTs and both have the problem.

I am using chrome on windows 8 / 8.1 and no additional Antivirus like NOD

anyone an idea?

dibbler

Is jumbo frames bad? I always enable it. Guess it doesn't matter too much, my network is mostly on other switches which I have no clue if they support 9k or not.

Is jumbo frames bad? I always enable it. Guess it doesn't matter too much, my network is mostly on other switches which I have no clue if they support 9k or not.

Jumbo Frames requires that everything on your network also use the same packet size, or else you will run into major performance issues. That includes all switches, not just clients.

Thanks for the tip, Krum!

I have an RT-AC66U and been having a problem with the web browser interface not loading properly, or taking a long time to load, for several weeks now. I tried several things, including multiple browsers, and could not get it to work properly. Thanks to the tip from Krum, I was able to correlate the start of the issues with my upgrade of ESET NOD32 to v7. I have added the router's LAN IP to the exclusion list for NOD32 and the web browser interface is working perfectly again. Excellent! :D

Thanks for letting me know there was a NOD7... and for this. As soon as I updated to NOD32 v7 the router web UI would no longer load. After adding 192.168.1.1 as an exclusion, works fine now.

Mike

I would like to add my findings to this as I am experiencing the exact same issue I believe.

The Web GUI is not loading completely on my Windows 8.1 machine. I have tried both 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and 1 Gig ethernet all with the same issue. I don't experience any issues with connecting to other machines on the network. Internet works fine as well.

Not really sure what programming is driving the Web GUI (java, flash, html5, etc.) But it is definately worth noting that the exact same machine booted into Ubuntu 13 has no issues.

I tried the above suggestion of excluding the router in NOD antivirus 6. I even went to the extent of disabling all of the modules in NOD to see if that helped (didn't). Any other suggestions?

I would like to add my findings to this as I am experiencing the exact same issue I believe.

The Web GUI is not loading completely on my Windows 8.1 machine. I have tried both 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and 1 Gig ethernet all with the same issue. I don't experience any issues with connecting to other machines on the network. Internet works fine as well.

Not really sure what programming is driving the Web GUI (java, flash, html5, etc.) But it is definately worth noting that the exact same machine booted into Ubuntu 13 has no issues.

I tried the above suggestion of excluding the router in NOD antivirus 6. I even went to the extent of disabling all of the modules in NOD to see if that helped (didn't). Any other suggestions?

The webui is mostly HTML + Javascript, with a few tags being replaced by text on-the-fly.

If you are using IE11, try setting it into Compatibility Mode. I have read quite a few issues regarding IE11 and router webuis so far (Linksys routers are also having problems with it).

I just tried it here under Win 8.1 and IE11 on my AC56U, and the webui is quite zippy actually, so I'm not sure what could be affecting it on your environment. My security software is NAV 2014.

My apologies...

I have determined that NOD is actually the cause of the issue for me. Even though it said that all the modules were disabled when I was troubleshooting, it was still blocking something. After uninstalling the antivirus, the web GUI loaded properly (Just like Ubuntu).

Now I tried adding the router to the exclusions in various ways which has helped some but it still fights to load completely :confused:

I know this isn't really the forum but does anyone know how to excluded that completely in NOD Antivirus. Here is what I have tried but it doesn't completely fix the problem as NOD is still affecting it somehow.

Capture.JPG

Glad I found this thread as I was about to post as well. I've been experiencing the same issue for a couple weeks and couldn't quite pinpoint the cause. After reading some responses, I disabled LinkScanner Surf-Shield in AVG 2014 and I'm no longer experiencing any issues in the ASUS Web UI on my AC66U.

Thanks!

Still having issues

Sorry for the slow followup, I was at the end of the semester and just didnt have time to fool around and troubleshoot.

I have the same problem with all wired computers. So I took my laptop with Windows 8.1 and using wireless I am able to log in and the interface is normal, even fast. I switch to a working network cable (I tried three) directly between that working laptop and the router and BOOM.. its slow to the point that it is not functioning.

I disabled firewall, Antivirus (trend), all extensions in chrome. I tried IE11 (compatable mode), Firefox. all same issue when connected via LAN (even directly with a cable that works elsewhere).

The router has nothing special running other than the latest version of merlin (35_4 I think).

Oh, I also switched ports on the router and tried multiple ports. Rebooted multiple times. Jumbo frames are off, HW Accelerator is on as is the Spanning Tree Protocol.

I am really close to doing a factory reset and starting over, but dont want to if I am missing anything else.

Jake;

I am also a 'NOD32 victim'. In order for me to get the snappy interface back, I had to add an IP exception like Zeroskatr512 to the NOD32 configuration. A regular disabling of NOD32 was not enough for some reason.

I have the same issue as zero stated above, but with Outpost firewall. Disabling the firewall does not fix the problem for me. I have to shut it down entirely, then it works fine where GUI response is normal. Agnitum support had me try to disable content filtering for the browser (a rule setting) and that solved the problem...except now there is no content filtering which reduces security a bit I guess for general web browsing. Anyhow try that. Coincidence two different products affected this way. And it used to work just fine a few months ago. Agnitum told me that IS the fix. So with that and my crappy 2.4 performance I'm a bit dissatisfied with this router (N66U). I'm on 35_4 sdk 5. Good luck.

Last edited:
I am not using the Merlin firmware but using stock and I have the same problem and it is driving me nuts. I posted it in the Asus section but with over 200 views and no responses. I am also using Nod32 v7.0.302.26. If I go to the secure Asus site https://router.asus.com:8443/ it loads fine. Also it loads fine on my Nexus 7 tablet and iPod Touch.

I did exclude *10.0.0.1* which I thought fixed it but when I went to Chrome it was slow as dirt again. Then was slow as dirt again in Firefox. What exact IP address do you have to exclude? In the meanwhile I will just use the secure login.

This might make me finally ditch Nod32 as this is not the first time this stupid AV slowed things down.

Have to recommend MSE here; no problems doing normal stuff on the computer - and, it's (also) free.

Any A/V that interferes in any way with normal operations of your computer is a virus itself, imo. :)

I even had certain websites freeze up all three of our PC's running Nod32 for a few seconds then it is fine. I know it is the AV causing it because the only thing related is the AV.

I might use MSE as Windows 8 has it built when my sub to three PC's run out in July 2004.

July 2004? You should start using MSE 'now'. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!