What's new

AC68... AIMesh or stay with 3 separate APs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Livin

I've been running 3 separate APs on Merlin : ethernet backhaul + all APs on run same SSIDs
- I've added 9db antennas on 2 APs to increase distance (covers yard and further, for when at neighbor homes)

Things work fine mostly but my Samsung S8 almost never switches APs, staying on ones even when the throughput is horrible (7mbit) while when in 'normal proximity' connections are 400-700mbit.

So, does the AiMesh update provide me any benefit to help AP switching or features I may not have in Merlin's FW?

Also, how stable is AiMesh these days?

thx!

I've been running 3 separate APs on Merlin : ethernet backhaul + all APs on run same SSIDs
- I've added 9db antennas on 2 APs to increase distance (covers yard and further, for when at neighbor homes)

Things work fine mostly but my Samsung S8 almost never switches APs, staying on ones even when the throughput is horrible (7mbit) while when in 'normal proximity' connections are 400-700mbit.

So, does the AiMesh update provide me any benefit to help AP switching or features I may not have in Merlin's FW?

Also, how stable is AiMesh these days?

thx!

AiMesh is a hit or miss proposition. It may or it may not work for your network/WiFi environment and client devices. Only taking the time to properly switch over to stock Asus firmware (flash and then full reset to factory defaults recommended) and then testing will tell you which will be better for your set up.

The setup you have is the one I would generally recommend, but how large is the area you are covering with 3 AP's + the main router (is it also a working wireless access point too)?

The use of the 9dBi antennae are not helping your devices roam properly, I'm sure. :)

The bigger point here is that the client devices are responsible for switching to a 'better' AP. Not the routers. ;)

To know if there is any benefit in the closed source AiMesh code for your situation means to totally commit to it to give it a chance to prove itself, or not.