What's new

AC68P issues with multiple devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loki993

Occasional Visitor
This router has always given me issues when multiple devices have been connected to wifi. We have what I would consider an average number of devices connected. 2 phones, 2 tablets for the kids, a fire tv and a fire stick. The only things that really stream though are the tablets and the fire devices. What was happening is when the kids were on the tablets it would more or less kill the rest of the wifi. So I moved the router and Im running the firetv wired now.

However we seem to have a new issue now. If Im watching the firetv in one room, which is wired and on a static IP. The fire stick in the other room, which is wireless, cant remembered of thats got a static ip too or not, gets a poor signal and will start to buffer really badly.

I wouldn't think one should affect the other since one is wired and one is wireless. I have plenty of bandwidth, Im on a 500 meg connection which wired will get most all of that and in that room on 2.4, the signal does lose a fair bit of speed because its on the other side of the house, I average around 40 megs, sometimes as low as 20 but that still should be enough to stream. The 5Ghz signal from that router has always been terrible and not stable at all, so running on that band isnt going to work.

Anyone have any ideas or is there something wrong with the router and I need to replace it?

Have you tried flashing the latest firmware from Asus? Below are the fixes in this firmware according to asus.

ASUS RT-AC68P Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20490
- Improved connection stability.
- Optimized CPU utilization.
- Fixed some UI bugs.
- Fixed login bugs.

You may want to check if QoS (Quality of Service) is enabled and see if there is an option to optimize for streaming media. Secondly you can do a frequency band scan with your smart phone and manually set a free channel on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz band on the router for best results.

Last edited:
Have you tried flashing the latest firmware from Asus? Below are the fixes in this firmware according to asus.

ASUS RT-AC68P Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20490
- Improved connection stability.
- Optimized CPU utilization.
- Fixed some UI bugs.
- Fixed login bugs.

You may want to check if QoS (Quality of Service) is enabled and see if there is an option to optimize for streaming media. Secondly you can do a frequency band scan with your smart phone and manually set a free channel on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz band on the router for best results.

I dont think there has been a firmware update for the router for quite some time, but yes I saw that and I will try. I ran QOS for a while but it slowed down my entire connection, like capped it to a hundred megs, so I turned it off. There are no free 2.4g channels around me, Ive checked them and the router is on the least crowded one I could find. 5g doesn't matter, whatever channel its on it still stinks on this router, it always has.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!