What's new

[AC68U] 100% CPU usage and terrible throughput after upgrading from 380 to 384.4_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

page_fault

Occasional Visitor
I just upgraded from 380, to 384.4_2, I wiped everything and did a factory restore but I am seeing 100% CPU usage on both CPU cores when I try to do a speed test and my throughput is down by 40%.

I have a 1 gigabit connection, to put this into perspective on 380 I had no problem hitting 950mbit on speedtest.net and the CPU usage inside the router would rarely go over 20% on a single core. Now I cannot get anything over 600mbit and the and both cores are swamped at 100%.

I have tried to disable network spanning protocol as that was a huge slowdown on the old firmware and that hasn't helped. Is there something I am missing here? It looks like NAT is no longer accelerated and is handled by the CPU?

Any help on this issue would be great, thanks.

Under LAN - Switch Control is NAT Acceleration set to Auto?

Yep it is but it seems like it's not working I don't have QoS, bandwidth monitoring or any parental controls enabled either.

It shows enabled under Tools as well?

Have you powered down the router? If not, you can try that.

I powered down the router no difference but this is what it says in tools:

HW Acceleration Enabled (CTF only)

This sounds like something isn't quite right, is there some setting that might interfere with the acceleration?

This sounds like it's only partially enabled

I powered down the router no difference but this is what it says in tools:

HW Acceleration Enabled (CTF only)

This sounds like something isn't quite right, is there some setting that might interfere with the acceleration?

This sounds like it's only partially enabled
Mine just says “Enabled”. Nothing in parentheses next to it.

Universal beamforming disabled?

Traffic Analyzer enabled? Saw this post:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/traffic-analyzer.40805/#post-343213

Yeah tried to disable all that, nothing enabled, still CTF only not sure what is going on. I suspect there is some nvram setting that is wrong but the question is which is it.

380 worked like a champ, not sure why i'm having so many problems getting CTF and FA (flow accleration) like it was working before. I guess I'll try to enable and disable those options again and then if all else doesn't reflash and wipe again.

Otherwise I'll have to go back to 380. Just strange no one else is having this problem.

Something is setting ctf_fa_mode to 0 when ti should be 1 on boot. Causing FA to not be enabled i'm trying to find out in the source what is going on.

The only time I saw the CTF + FA enabled was on an Ac68 version A1.Since I changed to RT-AC1900P (same hardware, faster cpu) I only see: HW acceleration = Enabled ( in 380,382,384),mine just says that too

Did you tried the WPS reset method? not just a restore :
Turn off the router, press the WPS button , then turn on the router. Wait about 15 seconds, then release the WPS button.
Reconfig,dont import settings.

Yeah that didn't work either, I just gave up. I am using the official Asus firmware which seems to be faster (I have 3ms less ping for some reason) and has TF (Cut Through Forwarding) and FA (Flow Acceleration) accelerator are enabled.

I'll come back to 384 or whatever later hopefully when things get fixed. There is some kind of bug in it though.

Did that, doesn't work, only CTF accleration is enabled and not Flow Acceleration. Can't use that with my 1gig connection, I'm sure it will get fixed soon. Just need to hang in tight it probably has something to do with my AC68U being the first rev with a 800mhz chip in it and possibility different radio?

Anyway going to try again later when merlin gets a new GPL sync from asus because it does work in their latest firmware from 3/27/18

Did that, doesn't work, only CTF accleration is enabled and not Flow Acceleration. Can't use that with my 1gig connection, I'm sure it will get fixed soon. Just need to hang in tight it probably has something to do with my AC68U being the first rev with a 800mhz chip in it and possibility different radio?

Anyway going to try again later when merlin gets a new GPL sync from asus because it does work in their latest firmware from 3/27/18
From what I've read, CTF is the important one and FA is a nice to have but doesn't have nearly the same impact as CTF.

Open an SSH terminal session, and run the
Code:
command while a download/100% CPU is happening. Post a screenshot of what top is showing.

Hi guys,

I have other issues but latest firmware isn't stable for me at least.
I have an ac68u and since I upgraded to 384.4 I have issues with I suppose WAN stability and Wi-Fi. I upgraded to 384.4_2 all ready but no diference.

I experience:
1. Verry lowand unstable bandwidth
2. Skype-calls are very bad even when on UTP cable.
3. Sometimes Wi-Fi is dropping.
4. VPN is continuously reconnecting.

I already tried a fully factory reset incl power off. Reflashed latest firmware after the factory reset again and again to be sure the router is clean. I powered off my modem to. The modem has his own Wi-Fi (I enabled it short to test stability) and other routers work fine. So it has something todo with the new firmware I suppose.

Only constant log I can Found :

Mar 31 11:19:11 kernel: DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=********** SRC=5.188.11.25 DST=********* LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=249 ID=11651 PROTO=TCP SPT=43210 DPT=30630 SEQ=2377157107 ACK=0 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

How’s everything running thus far with the Asus release?

My router is a RT-AC66U_B1.
I have similar problem with 384.4. I have an optical gigabit net, the speedtest.net usually measures above 900/200. After upgrade fw, this value is ~600/200.
I would like to use the parental control/time scheduling. If it is enabled, I have to disable NAT Acceleration. Then the speed will slow down to around ~190/200.
If I set NAT Acc. to Auto, the speed will be increased around ~600/200 but the Time Scheduling won't work correctly (usually blocks the internet access in allowed time and enables it in forbidden time).
All other function like QoS, Traffic Analyzer, AiCloud are off...

So the previous version (380???) did not have any speed problem with NAT Acceleration and Parental control/Time Scheduling...

i have 68U with gigabit internet and had to go back to 380.70, trying any of the new firmwares i couldn't get top internet speed.

The only thing i noticed was that versions before and including 380.70 i got ctf/fa nat acceleration but versions after that i only got CTF.

i have 68U with gigabit internet and had to go back to 380.70, trying any of the new firmwares i couldn't get top internet speed.

The only thing i noticed was that versions before and including 380.70 i got ctf/fa nat acceleration but versions after that i only got CTF.
if im not mistaken the 68u has only supported ctf. but yes i agree the new firmware speeds on gigabit service is very slow. 380.70 hitting 800 to 900 down

found an older thread from merlin. quoting him "FA is only available on the BCM4709 or newer, which means RT-AC68P (the Best Buy SKU), AC87 or AC3200."

Well, have you checked AiProtection - Network Protection page? Clear all the log in all the available pages there (Mal sites blocking, IPS, etc. Beside event details there is a trash can icon, click it to clear log) and you'll be fine. And make sure hardware acceleration is turned on(After so many previous suggestion here stated this and that).

Seeing these same issues on my RT-AC68U under 384.4_2. Has anyone narrowed down the cause of the 100% CPU issue? I'm using the default config, more or less, with some WAN port forwarding enabled for a few of the devices within my network.