What's new

AC68U AND XBOX LIVE DNS SERVER

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

madmac

Occasional Visitor
plugged my xbox to AC68u but i get the message: your dns server cannot resolve xbox live server names...

Can anyone kindly help??

don

I kind of tried the steps...but i did not try entering manual dns..i was thinking maybe i did not configure 68u correctly?

I kind of tried the steps...but i did not try entering manual dns..i was thinking maybe i did not configure 68u correctly?
That's a possibility, but if you are running with standard configuration, I think it would also affect your other devices. My guess is that maybe the xbox has wrong network settings - and it is trying to use a non-working DNS server. I would try to set it manually to google's DNS server, and see if it helps.

i tried manual dns...no use..

somehow i found the following:
If you have a firewall or network hardware, such as a router, you might need to make a configuration change in order for your PC or Xbox 360 console to communicate with Xbox Live. This configuration change is sometimes called “opening ports” or "port forwarding."

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)

and xbox also requires static ip..

have you tried Enable UPnP or going into WAN - Virtual Server / Port Forwarding
and Enable Port Forwarding then Famous Game List and select Xbox Live?

i know now..will mess with it later on..also need static ip..xbox is really demanding..haha

You shouldn't need static ip.
try restoring your network to default then do the suggestions i made.

thanks for your help..should i port forward 5 ports as instructed by microsoft? xbox live option opens only one port..

thanks for your help..should i port forward 5 ports as instructed by microsoft? xbox live option opens only one port..

you should not have to do any of this. If you are required to do this then something is set up weird with your setup. Your xbox is plug in play and shouldn't cause a problem with the router. If you have some weird setup with your router then that may be the issue. You should not have to forward any ports. If UPNP is enabled then it will open the ports automatically. If your xbox has default DNS setup or "automatic" then it should get the correct DNS server which will just be the default gateway of the router. Maybe you assigned the xbox outside of your network in the router? like manual IP setup. or the security you are using on the router has a conflict or something. Either way, port forwarding may solve the problem but i would just solve the real problem instead of just creating a work around for it.

some people forward ports for faster gaming but i have found that with all of the FW i have used on ac68 the portforwarding eventual drops or slows down the connection after an hour of gaming. UpNp does not have the issue most of the time. You can also just DMZ the xbox ip address to take it outside of your router firewall. Most people say don't do that because then your xbox can be hacked but i don't have anything on my xbox really so it wouldn't matter nor have i ever heard any horror stories of peoples boxes getting hacked ever. or read about one getting hacked ever so who knows.

Port forwards are not the same thing as port opening. You definitely do NOT need to forward ports 80 and 53 for instance, unless your XBox has suddenly become both a web and a DNS server...

i think i did try turn on plug&play but it did not seem to work for xbox, but i will try it again..

the following message seems to be flowing around the internet:

Port forwarding allows external devices to pass through your router's firewall for services such as a web server (port 80), FTP server (port 21), gaming or any other designated applications. In order to configure the router to connect to Xbox LIVE®, you need to "open" or "forward" the following ports to the Xbox®:
TCP 80
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
UDP 53
TCP 53
NOTE: We recommend you use a computer that has a wired connection to the router.

OP have you tried any of the suggestions we posted?
You do not need to worry about the ports.
Just do this.
on your 360 go to system>network settings>wired network>additional settings>restore to factory defaults.
now please tell us if you are getting any errors after that.

It shouldn't be this difficult to connect to Xbox live. There must have been a setting you messed up somewhere. Tell us what modem and ISP (internet service provider) you have.

hey guys

thanks for your input..you know what?i finally figured it out..all i have to do is to turn off the DNS filtering in my A68u router..now i can connect to xbox live..BUT is DNS filtering a good thing to be 'on' when i have a 13 year old daughter at home..?

i have also turned on upnp and port forward xbox live port range 3074..are they cool things to do?

You also want to double check your logs and make sure your XB1 is using port 3074. I have a multiple Xbox's, One Xbox likes to use port 16621, instead of 3074, and sometimes my XB1 uses port 3075. I forget the other port my other Xbox uses. Anyway check your logs while your connected to XBL to be sure.

Jayboy,

Why do you think PF slows down XBL?

in fact, i have turned off both upnp and port forwarding and i can still connect to xbox live. i believe as long as i turn dns filtering off i am ok. But in the long run, i want to turn on dns filtering..maybe different degrees of filtering will make a difference?

don

You also want to double check your logs and make sure your XB1 is using port 3074. I have a multiple Xbox's, One Xbox likes to use port 16621, instead of 3074, and sometimes my XB1 uses port 3075. I forget the other port my other Xbox uses. Anyway check your logs while your connected to XBL to be sure.

Jayboy,

Why do you think PF slows down XBL?

I think it might get better with the next asus FW release but port forwarding always slows down for me at various points during gaming. The only game I play is halo. Not trying to brag but I'm pretty decent. Halo is the type of game where if you know you should be getting head shots and you are not you can tell even the slightest lag. I'm not sure you would really notice very small amounts of lag in all of the games because some like COD don't need as precise timing for so many weapons used on the map. But back to the point. When i have PF on it works great for the first 30 minutes to hour and a half of gaming. Then i start getting slight lag sometimes in the middle of games, sometimes during the entire game, and then sometimes it goes back to normal. While this can be standard for any game. The behavior I have experienced is purely the router and not the game. If i reboot the router it goes back to great performance for around the same 30 to hour and a half time frame. I also bypass the router and go straight modem and this never occurs. Sometimes lag occurs but its much more rare, only for one game because of whoever is hosting the game or someone in the game is causing it. It's always goes back to a great connection when the guy gets the boot or the next game starts. Only time there might be intermittent lag might be during prime hours on comcasts connection around 7ish off my node. I did a substantial amount of testing to see what the best connection was after about the third FW that was released and minimal testing on later releases. The main conclusion is that my connection is best as follow:

straight modem obviously
upnp (still has some issues occasionally though but a reboot fixes it)
Portforward
DMZ (no idea why in the hell this is worse but once DMZ starts lagging a bit it never comes back to a good connection unlike PF which occasionally would fix itself but not that often)

in fact, i have turned off both upnp and port forwarding and i can still connect to xbox live. i believe as long as i turn dns filtering off i am ok. But in the long run, i want to turn on dns filtering..maybe different degrees of filtering will make a difference?

don

I'm not aware of what the built in DNS filtering does but there is always a work around for that. You can put your router outside of the filter I'm sure or you can prob just forward ports around it. Not sure but someone else will know.