What's new

ac68u) can't mount 8tb external hdd (ext4)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

newbasus

New Around Here
Hi.

I have used ac68u and easystore 8tb external hdd (NTFS format) well so far.
But I heard that ext4 format is more stable, so I formatted ntfs to ext4 using gparted on Windows.

After that, ac68u can't mount external hdd. (I can see hdd in 192.168.1.1 but it is unmounted)
At first I think 8tb too big to mount so I divided 8tb to two 4tb partitions but nothing changed.

However if I format it to ext3, I can mount 8tb(one partition) normally.

http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/
I heard that ac68u supports ext4, but why I can't mount ext4?

Sorry, I just assumed mkfs.ext4 was on your router because it's on mine (but I run a different firmware version).

Look in the syslog for clues as to why it isn't mounting. We've seen reports like this before and it appeared to be caused by the Windows software using ext4 extended attributes that aren't supported by the router.

Sorry, I just assumed mkfs.ext4 was on your router because it's on mine (but I run a different firmware version).

Look in the syslog for clues as to why it isn't mounting. We've seen reports like this before and it appeared to be caused by the Windows software using ext4 extended attributes that aren't supported by the router.

What firmware version do you use?
Merlin 374.43?

If so, Merlin can format ext4 in older virsion, but not latest version? Hmm

I use John's fork of Merlin's (see my sig). It's based on a much older codebase with new additions from John. So I don't know whether Merlin added mkfs.ext4 to any of his releases.

Oh, Ok. Thanks for reply

If I use John's folk, Can I format 8tb external hdd?

becasue I heard that 'fdisk' command can't format larger than 2TB.

I think you're right that fdisk doesn't support GPT partitioning (needed for >2TB partitions). Although I suppose you can create the partitions using your Windows gparted, and then just use mkfs.ext4 on the router to format it.

It seems a lot of trouble to go to though (changing to a different firmware). Maybe try some different partitioning tools.

How about this on your router:
mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sdx1

I think you're right that fdisk doesn't support GPT partitioning (needed for >2TB partitions). Although I suppose you can create the partitions using your Windows gparted, and then just use mkfs.ext4 on the router to format it.

It seems a lot of trouble to go to though (changing to a different firmware). Maybe try some different partitioning tools.

How about this on your router:
mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sdx1
I'm beginner of Linux so I don't know if I did it right,

I make ext4 partition using Gparted and just reformat partition using "mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sdx1" on router.

It works !!!

Thank you very mcuh

I had a hard time for a week and thanks to you, I solved it easily :D

Sounds like you know what you're doing @ColinTaylor

Wanted to ask you and others for exactly what to do by step with an ac68u (The T-Mobile version iirc) and an EasyStore 10TB Drive?? Trying to access it via Windows10 and eventually, my VIzeo M3 SmartTV.

I'd imagine step 1 is the correct firmware to flash to the router,...but which one and what are the steps yo would suggest? Thanks in advance.

Wanted to ask you and others for exactly what to do by step with an ac68u (The T-Mobile version iirc) and an EasyStore 10TB Drive?? Trying to access it via Windows10 and eventually, my VIzeo M3 SmartTV.

I'd imagine step 1 is the correct firmware to flash to the router,...but which one and what are the steps yo would suggest? Thanks in advance.
For T-Mobile routers the only supported firmwares are the ones that came from T-Mobile. Current Asus firmwares won't install.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...d-forks-on-non-asus-devices-is-illegal.44636/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/

But regardless of that it might "just work" so I suggest you try it in the first instance and see how far you get. Plug it in and see if it shows up in the router's GUI as a "USB device". If it does then go to USB Application > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk and see if it shows up there.

Plug it in and see if it shows up in the router's GUI as a "USB device". If it does then go to USB Application > Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk and see if it shows up there.

Coming from a noob when it comes to networking,...thanks a bunch for the reply,...and I've enabled whatever settings I could on that page as well (as shown).

What would be the next step as far as accessing files? I believe it's still a NTFS-formatted drive, and it's still listed as "WD easystore 25FB" and currently shows up as "Unmounted", btw.

Attachments

• Screenshot (461).png
    Screenshot (461).png
    216.3 KB · Views: 518
For the sake of not lazily waiting around for more help,...I disconnected my new easystore 10TB drive's smaller "twin",...and connected it's replica, an easystore 4TB drive that I bought a couple years ago.

It took a little while but I now see it's shown up fully functioning where I can access, save, and delete files. So the good news is at least that works.

When the (4TB) one hooks up it immediately shows as mounted, and the subfolders come up, I can create a new folder w/in the interface et. al.,......

....whereas clicking the same "WD easystore 25FB" directory on the screen of the "unmounted" 10TB one simply sends the pointer into an endless loop, which I guess should be no surprise because it's not mounted.

This drive is going to be used for the tv and video files virtually exclusively, so privacy is not an issue.

So as of now, getting a 10TB model to show up as mounted is the only challenge. Any and all help is -- again -- appreciated.

Good idea to test with a smaller drive. Now at least you know what you're looking for.

Side note: If you're not using the router's built-in media server (it looks like you're using Samba instead) then make sure it's turned off. Leaving it on unnecessarily will sap the router's resources and slow down disk access.

Using disk partitions over 4GB is not officially supported and can be a particular problem for NTFS formatted disks. I suggest you either use a different format like ext2 (which should be compatible with all routers) or ext4. If you want to stick with NTFS I'd suggest you try creating two partitions. Start with one as 4TB and the other as 6TB and see if they mount successfully. Remember to give each partition a volume name (label).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!