What's new

AC68U Can't write to my external drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jlodes

New Around Here
I have an external drive plugged into usb port on back of ac68u router. I can access the drive, open things up on it but can not write to it. I even plugged a regular thumb drive into the port and same thing. Heard that it was an issue with the firmware? please help.

Have you given R/W permission to each share and user in the router's web interface (USB Application - Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk).

yes i even created new account and new folder with r/w permissions and still no luck. i had found where someone had mentioned a post in the past where merlin had told someone to send a command through telnet to fix this issue but i cant find it.

yes i even created new account and new folder with r/w permissions and still no luck. i had found where someone had mentioned a post in the past where merlin had told someone to send a command through telnet to fix this issue but i cant find it.

Since you failed to mention your computer configuration, I can only assume at this point. In case you are using Apple computer, you can read, but you can not write to NTFS formatted drives. At least not without some third party applications for Mac computers. Again, I just assumed you are on Mac machine. If you are using Windows machine, then please disregard my post. In that case, it could be firmware issue. Another thing, you failed to mention which firmware and the version you're using (MerlinWRT or AsusWRT).

Since you failed to mention your computer configuration, I can only assume at this point. In case you are using Apple computer, you can read, but you can not write to NTFS formatted drives.
In this case it doesn't matter what the underlying filesystem is (NTFS, FAT32, ext4, etc.) so long as the router can read/write to it. It is then presented to the user as a network file system (SMB/CIFS or NFS) not the native file system.

Last edited:
In this case it doesn't matter what the underlying filesystem is (NTFS, FAT32, etc4, etc.) so long as the router can read/write to it. It is then presented to the user as a network file system (SMB/CIFS or NFS) not the native file system.

This is very useful info and of course always good to know. Thank you for sharing it.
Cheers!

Just got back from vacation and back to this problem. I'm using asus firmware ver. 3.0.0.4.380
its something with the firmware of the router itself and would like to know which merlin firmware i should use for this router to see if that fixes it. ill check out link above to other post. im using a windows 10 machine but that shouldnt matter.