What's new

AC68U No connectivity at all

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ccjj

Occasional Visitor
I was playing with a VPN setting earlier today while connected to a different VPN (I was not at home but wanted to test a new openvpn connection at work) and suddenly lost all connectivity. I assumed it was minor and would fix when I got home, however now I'm home I can't make the router allocate IP addresses or broadcast WiFi (i.e. no Ethernet connection, DHCP server or WiFi network being broadcast, though the ethernet lights flash as you would expect the WiFi ones are off).

The VPN change was not one which auto starts on reboot (in fact none of the configured VPNs are) and was only set to apply to 1 IP address via VPN director. Hence I expected a reboot would fix it but sadly not, likewise removing wan connection and rebooting, and most Ethernet cables except one, and I am now stuck with nothing...

I last updated firmware a month ago (so not the brand new release) and ideally I avoid a full reset as I'll lose so many settings, but what else can I try?

Thanks so much in advance!

I had an AC68U spontaneously switch off both radios for no apparent reason. The fix was to manually turn them both back on (one at a time) from the Wireless-Professional panel. Problem has not repeated. See if that is your problem.

Problem is even if I set a static IP address on the computer I don't get any form of connectivity so can't reach the router webpage or SSH (even via ethernet).

Bah, full reset it must be then

If only I had saved a config file. And if only the config restore process didn't cause an nvram shortage due to restoring old config parameters. Will see how I get on with a restore from memory!

This router is low on NVRAM already. Too complicated setup may not be the best setup for it.

After all of that, it seems I did update the firmware to 386.5 so must have been when I was zombified on a weekend a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps that was related to the crash/failure.
After resetting it does seem like things have come back fine, though obviously lots of setting up to do now!

Also, I would definitely not describe my setup as complex. It has about 20 IPs reserved, a couple of VPNs stored, and pretty much everything else turned off. Ive never been sure what uses up the NVRAM (I just assumed it was config of something....)

You can see what's left in Tools after your config. The router has about 10KB available after clean start though.