What's new

[AC68U] OnePlus 3 cannot detect 5GHz SSID

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

banjo

Occasional Visitor
My OnePlus 3 model A3003 phone running Android version 6.0.1 Marshmallow simply cannot see my 5G SSID. I know that 5G works fine as my laptop HP Elitebook 8440p with Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN running Windows 7 64bit SP1 works fine. The router is running an RT-AC68U running factory firmware 3.0.0.4.380_3831.

I've tried setting wl1_reg_mode=d as per http://www.snbforums.com/threads/tr...-using-asuswrt-merlin-3-0-0-4-376-48_1.20985/ but that setting doesn't persist.

I've even tried changing to N mode, Legacy mode, and playing with the channel numbers as per http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac66u-issues-connecting-to-5-ghz-band.7742/ but that doesn't work either.

According to Wifi Analyzer on the OP3 its it can see other 5G networks in the channel range 36-112, but the AC68U doesn't give me the option to set the channel number below 149.

TIA, Banjo

hi and welcome to the forum

when you go to wireless and select 5 gig and you click on control channel what channel numbers are showing as selectable

here i have

auto

36 ,40 , 44 , 48 and 149 , 153 157 , 161 , 165

36 to 48 should be available no matter where you live country wise , some countries use the middle dfs channels instead on the higher ones

however depending on the client and the country you are in the higher 5 gig channels may not be available

so have you tried setting the 5 gig to say ch 44 and seeing if the phone can see the 5 gig transmission

pete

hi and welcome to the forum

36 to 48 should be available no matter where you live country wise , some countries use the middle dfs channels instead on the higher ones

pete

Thanks for the welcome.

Hmmm .... that's odd because my router only has:
Auto, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the router is in AP-only mode. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Talking of channel numbers, the Wifi Analyzer app on the OP3 recommends channel 14 for 2.4 GHz, but the AC68U only goes up to 13. Is there a way to override that?

Thanks, Banjo
PS: Like the sig. My router is Mikrotik CCR1009-8G-1S, Wifi AP RT-AC68U, Internet 1G/1G genuine FTTH fibre.

Talking of channel numbers, the Wifi Analyzer app on the OP3 recommends channel 14 for 2.4 GHz, but the AC68U only goes up to 13. Is there a way to override that?
That app is rather stupid. :rolleyes: Channel 14 was only ever used in Japan and even then only for the old, slow 802.11b/g standard. So even if you could enable it, don't. You'll be wasting your time.

Side note: Even though channels 12 and 13 are valid in Europe there's plenty of client devices that don't work on those channels. i.e. Amazon FireTV Stick.

Side note: Even though channels 12 and 13 are valid in Europe there's plenty of client devices that don't work on those channels. i.e. Amazon FireTV Stick.
Thanks for the tip: I checked and my laptop, phone, and printer all work on channel 13, and everything else is wired.

There's 3 other APs on channel 1, 6 on channel 6, and 4 on channel 11, so channel 13 does appear to be the best option in my block. But it would be even better to get the OP3 onto 5GHz as there's loads of free channels there.

So I tried ASUSwrt-Merlin and that didn't improve the situation. I could still only select Auto, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Now, I'm using DD-WRT Brainslayer, and now my OP3 can see the ASUS on 5GHz (also I discovered my old Lenovo T510 can see 5GHz Wifi). The DD-WRT firmware only goes up to channel 140.

As my Network here is 1Gbs/1Gbs FTTH, should I revert back to ASUSWRT-Merlin and fix the probelm, as that can use the HW acceleration? Or does that not make much difference when I'm only using the AC68U in AP-only mode?

TIA Banjo

Hmmm .... that's odd because my router only has:
Auto, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Where and when did you buy your router?

According to this those channels are consistent with what was allowed in China before 2013. After 2012 they added channels 36 to 64 (see the footnote on the wiki page).

Where and when did you buy your router

Interesting point, I bought the router 2014年6月18日 from htttp://www.amazon.cn so there is a good chance that there is some Chinese government restrictions.

So how do I change the country code in Merlin firmware, to make it work properly?

Last edited:
The recent firmwares from Asus and Merlin don't allow you to override the country setting anymore. It uses whatever settings are burnt into the CFE.

You could try flashing John's fork of Merlin. I don't know, but that might allow you to input those NVRAM values because it is based on an earlier firmware before the lockdown.

FWIW here are the values for my EU RT-AC68U:
Code:
0:ccode=EU
0:regrev=13
1:ccode=EU
1:regrev=13
wl0_country_code=EU
wl0_country_rev=13
wl0_reg_mode=off
wl1_country_code=EU
wl1_country_rev=13
wl1_reg_mode=h

You could try modifying the CFE directly (there's a thread about it) but you risk bricking the router if you make a mistake.

Note that that link you gave was for the N66U which uses different NVRAM variables than the AC68U.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!