What's new

AC68U/P Router/Repeater setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Digitald00d

Regular Contributor
My first post so go easy.

My setup:
AC68U setup to my ISP as a normal router, call it RTR.
AC68P setup as a repeater, call it REP.
Merlin version 384.5

RTR is in an outside building and REP is inside house. About 60ft apart, glass windows in between. When setting up, I have the two talking via the 5G network as it appeared much faster. I have two wireless SSID's setup on both the RTR and REP. I CAN change the wireless channels on the RTR but CANNOT change the wireless channels on the REP.

What I really expected was the wireless SSID's and channels setup on the RTR to be extended to the REP. The way it ended up is listed below.
RTR 5G REP 5G (mode: repeater)
k33p0ut5R k33p0ut5
149/80 149/80

RTR 2G REP 2G (mode: AP)
k33p0utR k33p0ut
11u 3

I thought the 2G would get extended the same as the 5G did, even though I have 4 separate SSID being used. When I connect to the 2G in the house, sometimes it's very hesitant. Sometimes I have to disconnect and re-connect to the 2G to get it client going. I suspect there is interference on the 2G. That is why I wanted to extend the 2G channel 11 from the RTR. The only way to see the REP channel is looking at the wireless log.

I've also attached a couple screenshots. Ask away, I'll answer best I can. Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• AC68U-router.png
    AC68U-router.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 777
  • AC68P-repeater.png
    AC68P-repeater.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 468
Try using a lower channel other than 11 (so 1 or 6) and see if that has an effect.

From the looks of it the repeater is not connected to the router 2.4 at all, that’s why the channel didn’t “propagate”.

Thanks. I tried changing the channel on the RTR to 1. Nothing changed on the REP. Tried changing the 2G SSID on the REP to the same as the RTR. After the SSID changed on the REP, the channel changed to a different random channel, not the same as the RTR, and the REP 2G mode is still AP. Still scratching my head.:(

Hmm, I actually don’t know if BOTH radios are supposed to be in “Mode: Repeater” in Repeater Mode. Maybe someone more familiar with this can chime in, @agilani?

Also, I’m not against any better way of setting this configuration up.
The reason it’s setup this way is my clients in the house are both wired/wireless and I cannot connect to the RTR via wired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I’m not against any better way of setting this configuration up.
The reason it’s setup this way is my clients in the house are both wired/wireless and I cannot connect to the RTR via wired.

Maybe you can just use the REP in media bridge mode and have all the wireless clients connect to RTR directly? Probably better performance for all the devices.

Also, there have been a lot of wireless stability issues with 384.5, if you’re willing you can try 384.6 beta that was just released today, that should help also.

Maybe you can just use the REP in media bridge mode and have all the wireless clients connect to RTR directly? Probably better performance for all the devices.

Also, there have been a lot of wireless stability issues with 384.5, if you’re willing you can try 384.6 beta that was just released today, that should help also.

Sounds like a possibility. I could change the RTR 2G SSID to something unique and hook some wireless clients from the house to it and see how it operates. Failing that, I’ll try the upgrade and possibly a rollback.

Any ideas out there how the MEDIA mode is with the current Merlin? I’ve never used Media mode before.

Sounds like a possibility. I could change the RTR 2G SSID to something unique and hook some wireless clients from the house to it and see how it operates. Failing that, I’ll try the upgrade and possibly a rollback.

Any ideas out there how the MEDIA mode is with the current Merlin? I’ve never used Media mode before.

I use it, it’s fine.

You can change the wireless channels of the repeater. Click the SSID of each channel you want to change on repeater main page.
They don’t look like links but they are. You can rename pick channels change security etc.

You can change the wireless channels of the repeater. Click the SSID of each channel you want to change on repeater main page.
They don’t look like links but they are. You can rename pick channels change security etc.

Thanks TAR! I CAN change the parameters. Amazing how a little hidden hyperlink indicator can throw you down a rabbit hole.

I guess my only remaining question is why the 2G doesn’t appear to extend from the RTR to the REP? As indicated by the Mode:AP.

Maybe a resident Merlin expert might have some insight.

Not sure I understand. I run 2 68s. Second in repeater mode. I connect them w the 5 ghz channel. Seems faster. I have 4 seperate SSIDs.
Main router 2 and 5
Repeater 2 and 5
All different SSIDs

Not sure I understand. I run 2 68s. Second in repeater mode. I connect them w the 5 ghz channel. Seems faster. I have 4 seperate SSIDs.
Main router 2 and 5
Repeater 2 and 5
All different SSIDs

Exactly how I am setup. If you look at your REP log/Wireless log, does your 5G show Mode:Extended and 2G show Mode:AP (see my screenshot)? That’s only reason I assumed 2G was not getting extended from RTR.

Just this morning, after being attached with iPhone to REP 2G all night, I started Tapatalk and Google Chrome apps. The network indicator just sit and spun until I swiped up, disconnected the network, reconnected the network. Then it took off and worked fine. I’ve kinda ruled out the iPhone because it doesn’t do that when attached to REP 5G. I have many other devices (home cameras) connected to 2G is reason for not just using 5G.

Just this morning, after being attached with iPhone to REP 2G all night, I started Tapatalk and Google Chrome apps. The network indicator just sit and spun until I swiped up, disconnected the network, reconnected the network.
This. Exact same thing is happening with me and my rt-ac66u in AP mode.

Glad u post this. Same here. Problem is w my iPhone. I’ve restored updated everything. Roku and older iPad on 10.3 works fine.
Finally tried iOS 12 running beta 3 and haven’t had the problems. Been only a few days.
It has to be a combo of the repeater and iPhone.
iPhone was on 11.4.1. Great signal. Spinning wheel and no internet.
My wireless log in repeater mode looks the same as yours.

Last edited:
Been through all the RTR/REP confit pages many time. Turned off anything I suspected that might slow down connectivity/routing. Logging, packet inspection, QOS, etc. Firewall is on. Ping echo is off. Some of the deep dive settings that made me go huh? I just left at defaults. I’ve removed Merlin, reset to factory, reinstalled Merlin, applied saved config, all to no avail. Same thing.
My assumptions were the REP had to do some additional packet routing since that wasn’t really getting extended. Could be an incorrect assumption but I’m mostly at a loss.
I have connected my 2G devices to the RTR. Had to up the wireless power for reach. Then I reconnected just my iPhone to REP 2G. Same issue this AM. Plan on reconnecting iPhone to RTR 2G overnight and see if wake up slowness is an issue. Since only wired is now on REP, I’m setup so I can convert the REP over to MEDIA. So I’ve got a couple options to work with.

It’s promising to hear the beta seems to fix this issue (whatever it is).

Sent using my handheld communicator

UPDATE: after being connected to RTR 2G with iPhone overnight, fired up apps that previously had slowness/wake up/spinning/connectivity issue while connected to REP 2G overnight.

This time no issues exhibited.

UPDATE: after being connected to RTR 2G with iPhone overnight, fired up apps that previously had slowness/wake up/spinning/connectivity issue while connected to REP 2G overnight.

This time no issues exhibited.

Someone on Reddit suggested I should ping both over WiFi and with a wire my router, my public ip and any other website. And try nslookup as well.

Woke up today and iPhone did the spinning circle and no connection. iOS 12 beta 3 helped for a few days only. I was on 2.4. Switched to 5 seems fine. For how long who knows.
Computer wired to Repeater, Roku, Honeywell Wifi thermostat, and ipad on 10.3.3 never have a problem. Just the iPhone.

Woke up today and iPhone did the spinning circle and no connection. iOS 12 beta 3 helped for a few days only. I was on 2.4. Switched to 5 seems fine. For how long who knows.
Computer wired to Repeater, Roku, Honeywell Wifi thermostat, and ipad on 10.3.3 never have a problem. Just the iPhone.

Same here TAR. Plenty of items I had hooked to REP 2G never had issues (that I know of). Roku, weight scales, home security cams, Bose speaker, thermostats, and so on. iPhone seems to be the headache....but only on the REP side for me. RTR 2G hasn’t give me the same issue so far. Only <week testing on RTR.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!