What's new

AC68U routing issues with MoCA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coloradoman

New Around Here
Hi everyone!

I have the following setup: Comcast ist our ISP, coax goes into cable router (SBG6782) that also serves as MoCA bridge for the Xi6 wireless cable boxes. Connected to LAN1 is an AC68U configured as mesh router, connected to the AC68U are two more AC68U configured as mesh nodes. All wired and wireless clients, including the Xi6, connect exclusively to the mesh network. The SBG6782 has both wireless frequencies disabled. The only reason I am not operating it in bridge mode is that I need the MoCA functionality so that the cable boxes can talk to each other and get tuners allocated.

The issue is simply described as follows: when I operate the Asus mesh network in AP mode, no issues whatsoever. The Xi6 boxes see the DVR via MoCA and everything works. However, when I operate the mesh network in router mode (which is what I want to do), the Xi6 boxes cannot connect to the DVR via MoCA anymore. I configured everything to the point where the AC68U uses IPv6 passthrough from the SBG6782 (because the Xi6 boxes and the DVR only seem to have IPv6 addresses) and disabled the IPv6 firewall, but to no avail. Everything works, IPv6 test pages on the internet show full connectivity for the mesh network. Except for the cable boxes / MoCA traffic.

I realize that I'm opening a can of worms here by operating two router networks in line, but I was pretty sure that double NATting wasn't an issue here since the cable boxes only use IPv6 via MoCA. I can't say though if this is a routing issue (but if so, what's not getting routed?) or simply a layer 2 issue. I guess the missing piece here is my lack of understanding how the Wifi data from the Xi6 boxes actually makes its way into the MoCA network. Up until this point I thought it was simply a routing task that's performed inside the SBG6782 but that wouldn't really explain why it's not working.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Dan

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!