What's new

AC68U stuck on 378.55 can't upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nexx

New Around Here
I've searched but didn't see this problem posted.
Got a unique problem.
I have an new AC68U which I was able to upgrade to Merlin 378.55 however I can't upgrade to any 380.xx firmware.
I have tried re-flashing the 378.55 to make sure its fully on there.
Next factory reset
Then flash 380.67 but for some reason after it completes, the main screen still shows the old 378.55.
I'm at a loss after many hours troubleshooting this. Please any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Firmware update fails typically on memory shortage - remove USB devices and reboot - or do a factory reset and a minimal config and then try again.

To save/restore the settings you can use John's Backup/Restore tool.

Remove usb drives hooked, reboot , flash

If it does not work, still without any usb drive hooked, try with this: (this is the same tool for all models)
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1030652/

Thanks for the info. I followed the steps & removed USB drive, but getting the same outcome. Still showing old 378.55.
The status of the Restoration tool shows "Failed to recover the system" after the firmware upload completes. Any ideas?

From Our Leader's Installation page at
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installation

"It's recommended to reboot the router BEFORE flashing it, to free up sufficient memory. Otherwise, there's a chance the router might reject the firmware, due to running too low of free RAM."

Do have a careful read of the whole of Merlin's instructions at that link. I do think that if you persevere you should manage it.

And please report back, especially when you've solved it, because your experience will certainly help others in future.

Good luck.

Did you reboot before the flash after removing usb drive? important

I am not using USB drive at this point. I just download the firmware to my PC and run the update using the tool and point to firmware on my PC. Yes I did reboot.

Did you ever have DD-WRT on the router? DD-WRT changes the partition table, such that there can be problems.

You also might try loading my fork beta as a stepping upgrade first (It's very small compared to the Merlin builds, and might get around some problems)
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-374-43-lts-beta-for-new-rev-ac68u-routers-v27bdsdk.40610/

No, This router is brand new from Tmobile. It's actually the TM-AC1900 which I flashed over to AC68U. I never flashed it with any other firmware but Asus to enable telnet then Merlin's.

Did you reboot before the flash after removing usb drive? important

The router is in an off state before I start the update.
Also I do not have a usb drive connected to the router. I am running the update from my laptop only using the tool.
If there is another procedure to run the update from the USB drive in the router please let me know.
Thanks again.

Did you follow the procedure to change the CFE first (search for the links). If not, you are locked to only being able to use T-Mobile compatible firmware after the first time you flashed Merlin.

SUCCESS GUYS!!!!!
It just worked!!

I don't understand how or why it worked it just did....
This time I just connected the USB drive with 380.67 into the router
next logged into router web page
then Administration > Firmware upgrade
browsed to 380.67 which was on my PC
then click UpLoad, router rebooted and viola!!!

What did I tell you?

"I do think that if you persevere you should manage it."

Well done. Welcome to the
club. And if as I'm sure, you're delighted with it, have a look at he sticky post
"The Merlin Donation Thread".