What's new

AC68U Stuck with old Wan Speed on Router Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Colanta

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have an AC68U currently with Merlin 384.5 (in the last 24h Stock and tomato) with refuses to work with my new internet speed.

Today i upgraded from 20M to 50M, and any speed test with the AC68U in Router Mode is stuck at 20M. If I plug in my desktop directly to the ISP Router, it works at 50M. if I put the AC68U in AP mode it works at 50M, If i clone the wan mac of the AC68U into the PC and plug in it to the ISP router, 50M!

Almost any configuration works at 50M, but the one with the AC68U in Router Mode.

A few months ago, when i upgraded from 10M to 20M, it was the same situation, everything worked at 20M but the one with the AC68U in Router Mode, however, at somepoint it solves by itself by spending some months in AP Mode.

So far i have cleaned the NVRAM, Do factory Resets, flash other firmwares, and I'm still having the issue.

Any Ideas?

Is your ISP modem set to bridge mode?

When you plugged PC into the modem did you use the same port as the router or a different port?

Is your ISP modem set to bridge mode?

When you plugged PC into the modem did you use the same port as the router or a different port?

Hey Thanks for your reply,

Normally I use the ISP Modem in Bridge modem, but the issue happens either in bridge and router modes.

Yes, i used the same port for all the tests.

Right now I have the AC68U in AP mode, bus as soon as i put it in Router Mode it will go down to 20M, no mather the ISP Router settings

Have you tried power cycling ISP modem?

Yes, multiple times.

The only suspect that i have is QoS, since both times that i have increased the internet speed it was enabled, could be that the router itselft is setting a limit on the bandwith over the wan port and is not clearing it out when qos got disabled / nvram cleared, but at this point i'm out of ideas

Yes, multiple times.

The only suspect that i have is QoS, since both times that i have increased the internet speed it was enabled, could be that the router itselft is setting a limit on the bandwith over the wan port and is not clearing it out when qos got disabled / nvram cleared, but at this point i'm out of ideas

Try “Initialize” instead of clearing NVRAM/Factory Defaults.

Try “Initialize” instead of clearing NVRAM/Factory Defaults.
I've just did that, but still no luck

u2e8p.png

5meaux.png

So since your PC MAC gets the right speed, instead of cloning the WAN MAC of the router on the PC, maybe try the reverse?

Make the router use your PC MAC and see if that changes things. At this point I’m pretty sure it’s some old configs on your ISP not being reset.

So since your PC MAC gets the right speed, instead of cloning the WAN MAC of the router on the PC, maybe try the reverse?

Make the router use your PC MAC and see if that changes things. At this point I’m pretty sure it’s some old configs on your ISP not being reset.

Still not luck, i cloned the pc mac into the router, restart the router, the wan ip is now the old pc ip, but still have only 20 MB

vrcvif.png

Looks like you’re double NAT’d. Put modem into bridge mode and try again?

Still nothing, I guess i will wait for the setting to clear itself or buy a replacement for the router and put this one in mesh mode :(

15g6vja.png

That’s pretty odd, sorry can’t be of more help.

As a last ditch attempt maybe disable QoS? TBH I think this will clear itself out like the first time you had a speed bump, probably just some ISP configuration haven’t updated/expire yet.

Still nothing, I guess i will wait for the setting to clear itself or buy a replacement for the router and put this one in mesh mode :(

15g6vja.png
Sorry if this seems like such a basic suggestion, but what is your connection set to in your QoS? I had the embarrassing moment when I upgraded my line and was stuck on old speeds... turned out it was as simple as ensuring my QoS reflected my new line profile, directly under the QoS "On" switch.

Hello,

Just to clear it up, i Just finally found the problem after doing a speed test from another device.

I've buy a new modem and upgrade my conection again with the same issue, but then i did a speed test from my phone and there was the full speed, the problem was not the ISP nor the NEW/OLD Modem. It was the Fu***ng Windows, more specifically, the Network Card Drivers (Killer E2500) and its software, it was setting some weird QoS config at windows level, thus capping the speed, after telling the software to do a new speed test from it, it all worked perfectlly.

Thanks you all for you support

BTW all your speedtest results include your public IP.

The one that is shown is one from the ISP, some form of Nat444 but thanks for caring ;)

more specifically, the Network Card Drivers (Killer E2500) and its software

You're not the first person to experience issues caused by Killer and its software. When it comes to networking drivers, the simplest is almost always the best...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!