What's new

AC68U TimeMachine several Qs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dick_W

Occasional Visitor
Just got my new AC68U more or less fully operational. Since it has TimeMachine (my AC66U didn't), I decided to make that work instead of having to remember to periodically plug the portable into the MBA. Other than it taking several reboots to get it all happy, it seems to mostly be working well. But several questions:

1) is there a way to change the Netatalk server name from the default? There is for the SMB and Media Servers, but I can't see it for the Netatalk. Want to do this because I'm tired of having to change all kinds of settings on all the machines every time a piece of comm gear changes, just because the old names were things like "RT-AC68U-3B30" which is hopelessly tied to model and MAC of that one box.

2) the USB WD 500GB Passport I relocated to the AC68 was being used as a TimeMachine disk already, just host attached via USB. So it has years of backup on it already. For some reason, the Mac did not see/care about that existing backup and is doing a new first time backup from scratch. Anybody know enough about TimeMachine in general or as implemented on the ASUS in specific to know why not? Are the old backups likely still there and all I'd have to do is move the disk back to the Mac to get at them? Alternately, once I get happy with the AC68 TimeMachine, is there a way to go in and delete the old backup data to recover the space it must be taking up? Since I'm a Windows person 90% of the time, there are lots of the inner workings of OSX I've never delved in.

(Background: my AC66U power switch failed to latch On six months out of warranty and rather than just epoxying it in the On position or something, I RMA'd it to ASUS. They refused it as a warranty or even customer sat repair and wanted $130 to fix and return with a 90-day warranty. New replacement from The Big River was $142, and I spent $12 sending the broken one back to ASUS, so value for money in a repair was *very* poor. Especially for a common mechanical failure of a $1 part. So I had them send it back un-repaired. I also got a $142 check from my credit card for extended warranty. Hot! An excuse to buy an AC68U for cheap money out-of-pocket and have an AC66U as a semi-working spare (with a toothpick or something wedged in the power button). Just hope the AC68U has a better power switch.)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!