AC68U UI Crashing occasionally

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

ccjj

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Im a massive fan of my AC68U and thanks to Merlin for the epic firmware (running 384.19 latest version). However Im having some problems with it and finally decided its time to investigate a bit more....

Every now and again (approx once a month) the web interface just stops responding (does not load a page), and the SSH connection is the same (sometimes it will show a login prompt but then when you attempt to login it spins continuously and then times out). Despite this, the router continues to operate totally normally (WiFi/Diversion adblock/VPN tunnel/port forwards), I just cant do anything new or check anything. (I'll call this the zombie state)

A restart of the router always fixes things until it happens next time.... One of the most common situations I have noticed this is when logging into the router I type my credentials and something doesn't work, then from this point onward it reaches zombie state. I have added weekly reboots, but this only helps a little since sometimes it can happen quickly (e.g. just did it after 2 days, not sure if the reboot will now happen).

Either way Im a bit stuck, when I reboot there is nothing in the event log that looks suspicious and Im not sure how to debug. I have reset the NVRAM on 384.18 and then loaded the saved config file (rather than re-entering from scratch), but have not done it on 384.19. I dont think Im running anything super complex, the only addition from standard Merlin firmware is Diversion.

Please can I have some advice/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
 

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I've seen numerous posts/threads reporting this same problem. Maybe there is some advice in one of those.
 
Last edited:

ccjj

Occasional Visitor
Thanks, yes I've found several of those, but mostly they seem to say you can just reboot httpd and it fixes things, however I can't even log into SSH when it goes into zombie mode. I'm thinking this might be something different, but don't know for sure, and was hoping there was some way of living what was happening so I could debug a bit more...
Thanks
 

sHORTYWZ

New Around Here
Just actually came here to report the exact same thing, as I sit and watch the spinning circle trying to load my page.

The login screen is responsive, but once I enter my credentials, nothing will load.
 

ccjj

Occasional Visitor
Just actually came here to report the exact same thing, as I sit and watch the spinning circle trying to load my page.

The login screen is responsive, but once I enter my credentials, nothing will load.
And just to confirm once this has happened there is no response from the router until next power cycle? On web or SSH?
 

sHORTYWZ

New Around Here
And just to confirm once this has happened there is no response from the router until next power cycle? On web or SSH?
Correct... ssh poses a similar sequence of events:

Code:
[email protected]'s password:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC68U 384.19_0 Fri Aug 14 19:17:44 UTC 2020

Cannot get past that point - never receive a prompt.
 

sHORTYWZ

New Around Here
Just want to circle back here - I stumbled upon a post somewhere else (which I unfortunately cannot find anymore) that pointed to this being a potential issue with the auto channel selection for the WAN.

I disabled this on both WAN networks, and I have not experienced the above issue since - 3 weeks of uptime and everything is still responsive - would have generally required at least a couple restarts by now.
 

ccjj

Occasional Visitor
That's interesting, I've been giving it a go with the auto logout timer set at 1 hour, rather than unlimited and has been stable so far with that (I think 2 weeks). For good measure I'll give that a go too, and if it's definitely fixed I can happily do the tests individually to see which one worked.

EDIT does that mean you removed auto from the control channel or control and extension? I'm not sure how it will affect performance of I change both, but hopefully not too much...

Thanks
 

sHORTYWZ

New Around Here
EDIT does that mean you removed auto from the control channel or control and extension? I'm not sure how it will affect performance of I change both, but hopefully not too much...
Extension was left to Auto, as there is no way (at least not for me) to move away from that.
 

ccjj

Occasional Visitor
@sHORTYWZ - I have made this change and was running well for almost a month, but sadly the webui has crashed again now, so needing a router restart. Did you manage more than a month?
 

HarryH3

Occasional Visitor
Another thread mentioned that turning off auto-checking for updates solved the problem. You'll find it at Administration -> Firmware Upgrade tab -> Scheduled check for new firmware availability. Set it to No. Mine would lose its mind pretty often but it's been great for the last week to week and a half since I changed that setting.
 

HarryH3

Occasional Visitor
Another thread mentioned that turning off auto-checking for updates solved the problem. You'll find it at Administration -> Firmware Upgrade tab -> Scheduled check for new firmware availability. Set it to No. Mine would lose its mind pretty often but it's been great for the last week to week and a half since I changed that setting.

And this morning, no response once again. Had to power cycle to get to the home page. :(
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top