What's new

AC68U unable to check for new firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wahoowad

Regular Contributor
I haven't updated my firmware in about a year so used the 'Check Update' link in the Administration tab of my AC68U to check for the update. It can't and says this:

The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates.

Has Asus changed how the routers look for updates?

I haven't updated my firmware in about a year so used the 'Check Update' link in the Administration tab of my AC68U to check for the update. It can't and says this:

The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates.

Has Asus changed how the routers look for updates?
It works for me.
What firmware is in the router?
If it keeps failing I suggest a reboot of the router.

I just rebooted it prior to doing the firmware check. I have internet access and everything appears to be working.

I currently have firmware version 2.152 Updated : 2019/11/2

Asus shows Version 3.0.0.4.385.20433 as the currently available and I have downloaded it. I don't see a way to upload it though. I do see a way to upload a configuration file but not a firmware file.

Mge9jqQ.png

I don't see a way to upload it though. I do see a way to upload a configuration file but not a firmware file.

Read that page again... you're missing it.

OE

I am experiencing the same exact problem , but I have an RT-AC66U.

Are the Asus servers down or have they discontinued firmware updates for my model? I can see a new firmware version on the RT-AC66U webpage.

I am experiencing the same exact problem , but I have an RT-AC66U.

Are the Asus servers down or have they discontinued firmware updates for my model? I can see a new firmware version on the RT-AC66U webpage.
In your case there is a newer official update that will fix OTA function.

So they broke the OTA and I have to manually update it to have it back? Great, thanks!

Last edited:
I just upgraded and now I get a message saying I have the latest version, all good so far, lets see when the next OTA comes.

I had this issue with a specific firmware version in the past year or so. Manually updating it resolved the issue at the time.

Possibly just some bad hard coded update server addresses in the old firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!