What's new

AC68U unstable wifi and disappearing 5GHz with Version 3.0.0.4.384.45717

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
Greetings,

I am running the official AsusWRT firmware (45717) on AC68U. In my previous setup I was using AiMesh, which was problematic. I have just moved into a new house and only have the main router setup. It is running as an AiMesh router but with all the nodes un-paired.

However, I am still experiencing wifi issue. To begin with, the wifi is unstable. I would see that a wifi-connected device (such as a cell phone) losing connection once a while, only to be re-connected in a few seconds later.

If I leave the router running long enough, the 5GHz would disappear from the broadcasted SSID. Most of the time it would re-appear after a few hour.

I am trying to understand what could be the cause of these problem? Can it be that my router is over-heating? It is currently located in the basement of the house (breaker room with bare concrete wall) where the temperature is pretty constant at about 20C. No ventilation in the room, however.

My next step is to migrate to Merlin and see if this misbehavior still exist. If there is any suggestion, i'd appreciate it,

regards,

If there is any suggestion, i'd appreciate it,

This question is not related to Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (wrong forum), but disappearing radio signal is usually hardware related issue. As a last resort I would try to flash Merlin’s version (followed by factory default reset) in order to rule out overheating (it shows the temperatures), but if the problem is still present, then a new router is the only fix. I had a router with failing radio module and no software can fix that, had to replace it.

This question is not related to Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (wrong forum), but disappearing radio signal is usually hardware related issue. As a last resort I would try to flash Merlin’s version (followed by factory default reset) in order to rule out overheating (it shows the temperatures), but if the problem is still present, then a new router is the only fix.

Version 3.0.0.4.384.81049 Fixes the 5GHz issue. Fixed on my RTAC68U

Greetings,

I am running the official AsusWRT firmware (45717) on AC68U. In my previous setup I was using AiMesh, which was problematic. I have just moved into a new house and only have the main router setup. It is running as an AiMesh router but with all the nodes un-paired.

However, I am still experiencing wifi issue. To begin with, the wifi is unstable. I would see that a wifi-connected device (such as a cell phone) losing connection once a while, only to be re-connected in a few seconds later.

If I leave the router running long enough, the 5GHz would disappear from the broadcasted SSID. Most of the time it would re-appear after a few hour.

I am trying to understand what could be the cause of these problem? Can it be that my router is over-heating? It is currently located in the basement of the house (breaker room with bare concrete wall) where the temperature is pretty constant at about 20C. No ventilation in the room, however.

My next step is to migrate to Merlin and see if this misbehavior still exist. If there is any suggestion, i'd appreciate it,

regards,

Not sure if you were running 45717 at your old place...

I would re-install 45717, webUI Restore w/Initialization to reset to factory defaults, and configure from scratch. Then see how the WiFi holds up. If good, reset and add the nodes.

When the WiFi is up, what is the signal power dBm where you use it? This is wondering about those concrete walls.

Generally speaking, Merlin adds features to 45717, so I would not expect it to fix your issue.

OE

thanks for all the suggestions. I apologize posting it in the wrong forum (meant to post it at the official Asus sub-forum). I'll find time to re-install the firmware followed by factory reset, and will report back,

I started from scratch and installed 81049 on two AC68U. Set up an AiMesh with ethernet backhaul and everything is good and stable for about 2 days.

Both the router/node had nvram-reset multiple of times using different methods after flashing, and configured manually.

only time will tell but I am happy with 81049 so far,

will report back,