1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AC68U unstable wifi and disappearing 5GHz with Version 3.0.0.4.384.45717

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by Mine Ong, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Mine Ong

Mine Ong Occasional Visitor

Greetings,

I am running the official AsusWRT firmware (45717) on AC68U. In my previous setup I was using AiMesh, which was problematic. I have just moved into a new house and only have the main router setup. It is running as an AiMesh router but with all the nodes un-paired.

However, I am still experiencing wifi issue. To begin with, the wifi is unstable. I would see that a wifi-connected device (such as a cell phone) losing connection once a while, only to be re-connected in a few seconds later.

If I leave the router running long enough, the 5GHz would disappear from the broadcasted SSID. Most of the time it would re-appear after a few hour.

I am trying to understand what could be the cause of these problem? Can it be that my router is over-heating? It is currently located in the basement of the house (breaker room with bare concrete wall) where the temperature is pretty constant at about 20C. No ventilation in the room, however.

My next step is to migrate to Merlin and see if this misbehavior still exist. If there is any suggestion, i'd appreciate it,

regards,

2. Val D.

Val D. Very Senior Member

This question is not related to Asuswrt-Merlin firmware (wrong forum), but disappearing radio signal is usually hardware related issue. As a last resort I would try to flash Merlin’s version (followed by factory default reset) in order to rule out overheating (it shows the temperatures), but if the problem is still present, then a new router is the only fix. I had a router with failing radio module and no software can fix that, had to replace it.

3. muffintastic

muffintastic Regular Contributor

Version 3.0.0.4.384.81049 Fixes the 5GHz issue. Fixed on my RTAC68U

Mine Ong likes this.
  4. Val D.

Val D. Very Senior Member

If it’s a known firmware bug or something, then OP may have some luck.

5. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

Not sure if you were running 45717 at your old place...

I would re-install 45717, webUI Restore w/Initialization to reset to factory defaults, and configure from scratch. Then see how the WiFi holds up. If good, reset and add the nodes.

When the WiFi is up, what is the signal power dBm where you use it? This is wondering about those concrete walls.

Generally speaking, Merlin adds features to 45717, so I would not expect it to fix your issue.

OE

6. Mine Ong

thanks for all the suggestions. I apologize posting it in the wrong forum (meant to post it at the official Asus sub-forum). I'll find time to re-install the firmware followed by factory reset, and will report back,

OzarkEdge likes this.
  7. Mine Ong

Thanks. I just noticed it on the list of bug fix.

8. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

To be clear:

- Fixed EU 5GHz SSID disappear problems in EU model.

OE

9. Mine Ong

I started from scratch and installed 81049 on two AC68U. Set up an AiMesh with ethernet backhaul and everything is good and stable for about 2 days.

Both the router/node had nvram-reset multiple of times using different methods after flashing, and configured manually.

only time will tell but I am happy with 81049 so far,

will report back,