What's new

[AC68U] using IPv6 on LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pfresh

New Around Here
Hi there.
I’ve been having issues getting some Nest Protects onto my network. Nest support are out of ideas, but I suspect the issue is because they need to use IPv6.

I’ve just done a factory reset of my AC68U, and set it to use a native IPv6 WAN connection, and stateful LAN.

However my device list is full of devices with IPv4 addresses (and the Protects aren’t connecting).

Is there something else I need to set to use IPv6 for my LAN?

Check "System Log - IPv6 Network Information" for it's status. I have Sprectrum (aka TWC) and use;

Native/ DHCP-PD / Stateless

You can test at http://test-ipv6.com/ in a web browser. You may want to change DNS servers to use Google DNS.

Thanks for this. I use Hyperoptic (UK ISP).

The connection to the net seems to be working fine (I get 9/10 on test-ipv6). It's the local network that's causing me problems, because it continues to just use IPv4.

Weirdly I set all this up fine a year or so ago, then had issues with Plex and IPv6 so reverted to IPv4 with a static address.

Just can't work out what I've done differently this time around o_O

Some IoT devices just do not work properly. I have a Ecobee 3 lite thermostat that only uses 2.4ghz. I found that if I made changes with my rt-68u, that it would not reconnect, so I ended up just using the ISP provided gateway.

Try connecting your Nest stuff to the 2.4ghz radio not 5ghz. As for IPv6, you can get away with not using it if you do not need it on the LAN.

Thanks for this. I use Hyperoptic (UK ISP).

The connection to the net seems to be working fine (I get 9/10 on test-ipv6). It's the local network that's causing me problems, because it continues to just use IPv4.

Weirdly I set all this up fine a year or so ago, then had issues with Plex and IPv6 so reverted to IPv4 with a static address.

Just can't work out what I've done differently this time around o_O

Check your WiFi settings (both bands) to ensure "Set AP Isolated" is off and you are not using a Guest WiFi.

Thanks folks.

Some IoT devices just do not work properly. I have a Ecobee 3 lite thermostat that only uses 2.4ghz. I found that if I made changes with my rt-68u, that it would not reconnect, so I ended up just using the ISP provided gateway.

Try connecting your Nest stuff to the 2.4ghz radio not 5ghz. As for IPv6, you can get away with not using it if you do not need it on the LAN.

I’ve had similar with Nest, the Protects only use 2.4 as well. Their support team are out of ideas, my only clue is a random support page on their site that says they require IPv6 on the LAN to communicate with each other and the Nest servers o_O

Check your WiFi settings (both bands) to ensure "Set AP Isolated" is off and you are not using a Guest WiFi.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve checked those settings but still no dice

Nest Protects have been a problem since day 1. I had them when they first came out and got tired of everything from them going off at two in the morning to going offline for no reason. Now I just use an Alexa Hockey Puck to alert me if ine of the units goes off by listening for the sound frequency that the CO/Smokes make when the alarm goes off.

Overcomplicating your life by utilizing too many “smart” devices just cause you more headaches not less. My IoT, printer, and elder portable devices sit on my 2.4ghz Radio, while everything else sits on the 5ghz Radio.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!