What's new

AC68U - Using VPN when AP mode is enabled?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L81

New Around Here
Hi! I would like to ask you if this network topology makes any sense.

When I am out of my home I need to connect my smartphone to my home LAN and to access internet with my home's IP public address.

For several reasons, I can not swap my home router (ISP router) for my AC68U but I would like to use its VPN capabilites.
My go to plan is:
5G network Smartphone > VPN client > AC68U VPN Server + Access Point Mode > My ISP Router > Internet

But I can't set AC68U VPN server when in AP Mode. Any suggestion for my needs?

as.jpg

If you think this thread would fit better in another section, please let me know.

But I can't set AC68U VPN server when in AP Mode. Any suggestion for my needs?

Run it as Router in double NAT behind your ISP router. Place your router WAN IP in ISP's router DMZ. Connect all your devices to AC68U. Run VPN Server on it and DDNS service. Asuswrt detects now the real public WAN IP and will update DDNS properly. You may need to edit your *.ovpn configuration file manually with your DDNS domain name. Problem solved.

Code:
remote your.ddns.net 1032

Hint - *.ovpn configuration file is a text file. Change the file extension to *.txt and edit the line above to correct address. Rename back to *.ovpn after. Use it on you mobile device in OpenVPN App. It will connect to your AC68U through your ISP router as normal. You have VPN access to your network.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!