What's new

AC86U - 384.17 - Lost 5GHZ, Rebooted Manually, appears but says wrong password

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wizin

Regular Contributor
I changed password, put back original but its wrong pwd for all of them

Log attached, any help

https://imgur.com/DvSyu6S

4 devices - all have same issue, I tried the reset network settings on them, turn wifi on/off, forget network etc

The password has been the same for long time and even changing it doent work, but strange it just disappeared in the first place

I found similar issues in 384.15, 16 and went back to 13 which was stable but i assumed 17 would fixed

Is this a known issue?
DvSyu6S

DvSyu6S

Attachments

• new 1.txt
    474.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
So went default ASUS firmware and it still cannot recognize my 5GHZ, is it dead?

Give it a few manual reboots and some time,, had that problem with my 5300 when i downgraded from 384-18 to 384-17

My issue went so bad, I had to do a rescue mode

I dont know what version to pick now, its in factory default

My issue went so bad, I had to do a rescue mode

I dont know what version to pick now, its in factory default
Many of us have had great success with Asus 384-81918. Use Dual Band SmartConnect with fixed channels and set 2.4 GHZ to 20 MHZ bandwidth. Use a SSID of no more than 8 letters. Leave professional wifi settings at default.

I set it up with my own name/password and now its not accepting it, even the default one is not working. I had this same issue earlier where I did a factory default and then from there it went bad as I tried .17 and it wouldnt mount JFFS, so I tried few times with partition on next boot and custom scripts on but then it went into a loop for which I had to use rescue mode

Many of us have had great success with Asus 384-81918. Use Dual Band SmartConnect with fixed channels and set 2.4 GHZ to 20 MHZ bandwidth. Use a SSID of no more than 8 letters. Leave professional wifi settings at default.
I'm really interested to understand more about this advice as I use longer SSIDs and have found Smart Connect issues and WiFi behaviour quirks (but not on a RT-AC88U as I have a RT-AX88U) - is there a thread where I can find out more of the reasoning behind this advice?

Had an 86U completely use all 5GHZ functionality earlier this year. After a reboot, something would connect for ~1-2 minutes, and then nothing could ever again. All devices could see it, but nothing could connect. RMA-ed with Asus, and pretty much got a brand new 86U from them. Apparently this has happened to other people on the forum.

I have yet to try more but now on factory default s/w and its working fine

@wizin the following link may help.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326

If the router is stable afterward, the M&M Config and ideally the Nuclear Reset guides may be useful too (see the link in my signature below for those guides and more).

I tried the above, and did partition JFFS and use scripts option, did manual reboot x 3 times, but I have the same issue

Is router dead? coz I read somewhere when JFFS cannot partition, its an issue

EDIT: Worked after 4 reboots - 1 after enabling, 1 after disabling

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!