What's new

AC86U 5G SSID occasionally disappears

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lucrabbit

Occasional Visitor
Hi, need some help. My 2 month old AC86U recently behaves strange: the 5G SSID occasionally disappears (but all devices on 5G were still connected and functioned normally) - the SSID would reappear after a while without any intervention, but sometimes it might disappear and dropped all devices! When devices were dropped, restarting the AC86U will bring the 5G SSID back to normal. Very annoying!

Router is running the latest stock FW, and 5G LED was lit even when all 5G devices were dropped.

Anyone had similar issue before?

What channel are you using? Using a DFS Channel can cause issues if a nearby radar is detected, forcing the router to switch channels.

Hi RMerlin, thanks for the prompt response and helped to educate the DFS concept. My AC86U is currently using channel 157 (set at "Auto" mode), and I checked online and found none of the 5G channels available on the router is DFS channel (I am in USA).

In the USA, channels 36 - 48, together with 149 - 165 are exempt from DFS operation, with all remaining channels requiring DFS operation.

Channel 157 should indeed be fine.

Are you using two separate SSID:s for 2,4GHz and 5GHz?

Are you sure you're using a different SSID for each of them?

I had a funny thing happen in Chrome where it would autofill the 2,4GHz SSID for the 5GHz one, after which my laptop only would show the 2,4GHz one. This would happen each time I edited a 5GHz WiFI setting, so I didn't catch it the first few times. After renaming the 5GHz SSID again, and making sure Chrome wouldn't autofill, it popped up on my laptop.

Thanks for all the responses. I do have two separate SSIDs under different names and I specifically moved all 5G capable devices to the 5G band including two security cameras - that's how I could tell each time the 5G band was dropped. Over the period of last four days since I posted my original post, I have observed another two instances when 5G band disappeared, but both times it seemed it recovered by itself. Weird.

I will continue to monitor and report back.

Hi, need some help. My 2 month old AC86U recently behaves strange: the 5G SSID occasionally disappears (but all devices on 5G were still connected and functioned normally) - the SSID would reappear after a while without any intervention, but sometimes it might disappear and dropped all devices! When devices were dropped, restarting the AC86U will bring the 5G SSID back to normal. Very annoying!

Router is running the latest stock FW, and 5G LED was lit even when all 5G devices were dropped.

Anyone had similar issue before?

Could you try the FW 3.0.0.4.384.45149?

5G band disappearing happens to me after 384.8 firmware.
My device is AC68U.

Seem's like something that will never be fixed, I always forget to check my log when this happens, will try to remember the exact time and second this happens next time.

I'm almost tempted to change routers despite this only happening rarely its still a pain when it does.

My Asus N66U was rock solid for years.

What channel are you using? Using a DFS Channel can cause issues if a nearby radar is detected, forcing the router to switch channels.

Thanks Merlin. 5GHz channel was in auto. Now, It is 40. I will try this channel.

https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/a-quick-guide-to-5ghz-in-the-uk-part-1
https://www.radio-electronics.com/i...211-channels-number-frequencies-bandwidth.php
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...94-why-80211ac-will-kill-the-5-ghz-wi-fi-band

Channel 44 is same. This channel is not the DFS channel.

I spoke to Asus. They didn't say any technical information. They say contact your dealer. I'il return the product.

Last edited:
That should be the quality of Asus!!!. Of course they are more successful in deleting topics in forums. The software/firmware does not matter.

That should be the quality of Asus!!!. Of course they are more successful in deleting topics in forums. The software/firmware does not matter.

No one from Asus has any moderation capabilities on these forums, they cannot delete anything.

My 5ghz dropped again today at 2.11pm, came back on its own at 2.15pm

Looked in network log but nothing is logged at them times.

Most annoying, not being able to track this issue down.

For the record I use a non DFS channel, currently using channel 40 in the UK here.

I did find a larger thread on here about 5ghz drops as well and someone suggested changing channel bandwidth to 40mhz for 5ghz band.

I may try that now, unsure how much if any that will effect performance?

Last edited:
Slight issue, I tried channel 40 @ 40mhz and some of my devices would not connect to 5ghz.

I tried channel 136 with 40mhz bandwidth and they connected.

Are certain channels only supported on 40mhz?

Slight issue, I tried channel 40 @ 40mhz and some of my devices would not connect to 5ghz.

I tried channel 136 with 40mhz bandwidth and they connected.

Are certain channels only supported on 40mhz?
it is done automatically
36/40/../64, 100/104/../140 all usable as single 20MHz
36+40/44+48/../132+136 as 40MHz (140 missing as pairing ch. 144 is nomore supported on latest routers, has been open on previous firmwares)
36+40+44+48/52+56+60+64/100+104+108+112/116+120+124+128 as 80MHz bandwith, 132+136+140+144 again only with old firmwares or opened region setting.

Another shame of Asus. There are a lot of people who have this problem. I can't take action because it's not international guarantee. Now I have a very valuable scrap. Is this garbage ranking the best router?