What's new

Ac86u and gigabit broadband

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stethorn19xx

New Around Here
Hi all,. I have virgin media's gigabit broadband being installed tomorrow , at the moment I have the 600mb service .
Will my ac86u be able to distribute the wireless to get the most out of it? If I do a speed test on the iPad at the moment I can occasionally hit 500mbit.
I have read somewhere that the WiFi speed will be capped at a certain percentage of the available bandwidth is this true? Also if I had multiple WiFi devices will they all share the whole gigabit bandwidth, for example 2 or 3 iPads all running a speed test, will they max out the connection if they can only reach 400mbit each?

Thanks in advance for any advise .

Cheers ste

Hi all,. I have virgin media's gigabit broadband being installed tomorrow , at the moment I have the 600mb service .
Will my ac86u be able to distribute the wireless to get the most out of it? If I do a speed test on the iPad at the moment I can occasionally hit 500mbit.
I have read somewhere that the WiFi speed will be capped at a certain percentage of the available bandwidth is this true? Also if I had multiple WiFi devices will they all share the whole gigabit bandwidth, for example 2 or 3 iPads all running a speed test, will they max out the connection if they can only reach 400mbit each?

Thanks in advance for any advise .

Cheers ste

WiFi has a variety of constraints like protocol, max link rate speed, number of antennas/streams, being half-duplex (one direction at a time), being a shared medium (one transmission at a time, including your neighbors on the same channel(s)), etc. If you can sort these all out for your WLAN(s), your ambient WiFi interference, and your wireless clients individually and collectively; you can get some idea of what throughput to expect for a given connection.

OE

Thanks for the reply , I understand all that and spent the past year sorting all that out. But my main question is in a perfect environment is it possible to max the gigabit bandwidth out using WiFi only ? Also will multiple clients eventually max the connection out even if there is multiple constraints such as interference?

Thanks for the reply , I understand all that and spent the past year sorting all that out. But my main question is in a perfect environment is it possible to max the gigabit bandwidth out using WiFi only ? Also will multiple clients eventually max the connection out even if there is multiple constraints such as interference?

Do wireless clients take turns using the radio channels? If so, then one client at a time would have to transmit at 1 Gbps continuously until the next client takes its turn, and so on. I suppose that's possible to sustain but not likely with the typical AC clients. And I suppose it's more possible with AX clients each transmitting above 1 Gbps. But the time sharing of the radio spectrum at some max link rate and the less than maximum traffic profile in time are probably the actual constraints on throughput. Adding a second simultaneous band/WLAN (5-1 and 5-2) could double the throughput numbers.

So, my lay guess would be yes, in a perfect environment, it is possible to max out a 1 Gbps connection using WiFi only... at least briefly.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!