What's new

AC86U and Netgear ORBI, Spanning tree?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clvk07

I have an AC86U (latest alpha merlin) and a netgear Orbi sateliite (wifi mesh) wifi system connected. All the wifi goes through the ORBI. Basically clients connect to ORBI and get an IP address from ORBI which gets from the AC86U.

It worked for few hours and then I couldn't get it to work until I turned off spanning three option in switch control.

I had the same setup with an AC88U for months and never had a problem. Just in case this wasn't the issue and I was just lucky, was the spanning tree option not available on the AC88U? I don't remember turning it off.

Any other ideas?

It is available under LAN then switch control on my 88u.
It could be because of the firewall reset that happens after the spanning tree protocol is disabled.

Spanning tree protocol is intended to prevent loops in the network, that appear if you have two routs that lead back to the same switch or router if I remember correctly there is more to it, it delays connections to port's by 10 seconds I think don't quote me I could be wrong.

It is available under LAN then switch control on my 88u.
It could be because of the firewall reset that happens after the spanning tree protocol is disabled.

Spanning tree protocol is intended to prevent loops in the network, that appear if you have two routs that lead back to the same switch or router if I remember correctly there is more to it, it delays connections to port's by 10 seconds I think don't quote me I could be wrong.

I did restart the router before turning it off, didn't work. Is yours enabled or disabled by default?

Enabled by default but I disabled it because I don't need it on

Last edited: