What's new

AC86U and ZenWifi AX XT8 (2 pack)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mfarrell

New Around Here
Hi, I currently have the RT-AC86U router for just over a year and I have just recently been offered a pair of ZenWifi AX XT8's for free :) Thanks to remote working and the office not being used as much.

My question is what would be the best way to setup the 3 routers? Should I leave the AC86U as the main router and have the 2 XT8's connected as nodes? Or setup one of the XT8's as the main router and have the other XT8 and the AC86U setup as nodes. Only one router will be connection to the modem and the other two will have to connect wirelessly. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to the forums @mfarrell.

Sell the ZenWifi's and the RT-AC86U, and buy an RT-AX86U and/or a GT-AX6000 instead.

Or, just continue using the RT-AC86U (you didn't say it had any issues for you).

The only issue I have with the RT-AC86U is there's a few black spots and I'm hoping that the other 2 routers can help fix this.

I'm not interested in selling anything, all I want to know is what's the best setup with the 3 routers? Thanks for the reply

The only issue I have with the RT-AC86U is there's a few black spots and I'm hoping that the other 2 routers can help fix this.

I'm not interested in selling anything, all I want to know is what's the best setup with the 3 routers? Thanks for the reply

Assuming your space requires no more than 2 APs (likely), I would leave your AC86U as it is and set it aside for backup/recovery while you tryout the two 'free' XT8s. This will allow you to update them (upload current firmware, reset it, and configure from scratch) and see how they perform in your space as a proper tri-band AiMesh with a dedicated wireless backhaul (band 5-2 AXx4).

Later, you can decide what to do next, if anything, and you will better understand your options for joining the dual-band AC86U with the tri-band AX XT8s into a so-called AiMesh system. Review their band and antenna specs to know how they differ.

If the new equipment disappoints, you can immediately falback to your working AC86U.

OE

I didn't think of that, it is unlikely that I'll need more than 2.

So I'll do exactly as you said. I'll run a few speed tests from different locations in the house, downstairs, upstairs, attic, front and back gardens and compare the results before I setup the XT8's and then run the exact speed tests again and compare, thanks!

I didn't think of that, it is unlikely that I'll need more than 2.

So I'll do exactly as you said. I'll run a few speed tests from different locations in the house, downstairs, upstairs, attic, front and back gardens and compare the results before I setup the XT8's and then run the exact speed tests again and compare, thanks!

A WiFi analyzer app is useful for seeing the WLANs to get a rough/relative idea of signal strength, availability, and stability.

Also, my install notes may offer some clues.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!