What's new

AC86U as AP, and Ubquiti ER-4 LAN issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

speedingcheetah

I just got a Ubiquiti ER-4 setup as my main router.

Eth0 is the WAN port.
Eth1 is the LAN port.
Other ports not used.

Eth1 is connected to a Asus XG-U2008 unmanaged switch.
All other wired devices are connected to this switch.

I have Static DHCP 12 IP addresses set on the DHCP server.
All devices are getting their assigned IP address fine.
I can communicate fine to all devices fine via LAN (wired).

I put my Asus RT-AC86U into AP only mode, and it is connected to a port on the switch (WAN port of router to a switch port)

It gets its IP addresses and DHCP info for its WAN fine from the ER-4.

On my wifi clients, WAN (Internet) browsing is just fine.

But when using wifi, I can not get my HDHomeRun app to stream it video stream, says "time out" and I also can not load my Emby media server page which is on a wired computer (ip:8096), it tries to load, but only get the background, I refresh, it loads further, so it is working, but extremely slow and appears to be timing out. When I use the same wifi client(a laptop) over wired NIC, i can acces these just fine.

Also, over wifi, my network shares, when I view them in Windows Explorer, they work fine at first, but after a minute, it is very slow to load thumbnail, and files fail to transfer, and it hangs badly.

I can ping these devices over wifi fine with no packet loss or any latency, i can do the same from the Asus router Tools page.

So I know I am can talk to them. But am not sure why this issue is happening.

I have factory reset the Asus router, did not restore any backup config, and it is running the latest Merlin firmware, 384.10.

I had first set the ASUS as a IP out side of my pool, on purpose, just as the ER-4 is. I tried setting it to be in the DHCP pool, made no difference.

Is there something in the ER-4 or something I need to tweak on the 86U that would be blocking/slwoing certain WLAN to LAN things?

Last edited:
I just got a Ubiquiti ER-4 setup as my main router.

Eth0 is the WAN port.
Eth1 is the LAN port.
Other ports not used.

Eth1 is connected to a Asus XG-U2008 unmanaged switch.
All other wired devices are connected to this switch.

I have Static DHCP 12 IP addresses set on the DHCP server.
All devices are getting their assigned IP address fine.
I can communicate fine to all devices fine via LAN (wired).

I put my Asus RT-AC86U into AP only mode, and it is connected to a port on the switch (WAN port of router to a switch port)

It gets its IP addresses and DHCP info for its WAN fine from the ER-4.

On my wifi clients, WAN (Internet) browsing is just fine.

But when using wifi, I can not get my HDHomeRun app to stream it video stream, says "time out" and I also can not load my Emby media server page which is on a weird computer, it just endlessly tries to load. When I use the same wifi client(a laptop) over wired NIC, i can access these just fine.

Also, over wifi, my network shares, when I view them in Windows Explorer, they work fine at first, but after a minute, it is very slow to load thumbnail, and files fail to transfer, and it hangs badly.

I can ping these devices over wifi fine with no packet loss or any latency, i can do the same from the Asus router Tools page.

So I know I am can talk to them. But am not sure why this issue is happening.

I have factory reset the Asus router, did not restore any backup config, and it is running the latest Merlin firmware, 384.10.

I had first set the ASUS as a IP out side of my pool, on purpose, just as the ER-4 is. I tried setting it to be in the DHCP pool, made no difference.

Is there something in the ER-4 or something I need to tweak on the 86U that would be blocking certain WLAN to LAN things?

Can you disable WLAN\Airtime Fairness per band on an 86U AP?

OE

Last edited:
Something is definitely weird using wifi.
I can connect via wired cable from laptop to the switch ports on the back of the Asus router and everything works fine.

So what in the wifi setup would be causing this?

FIGURED it out!

Connected the cable from Switch to a switch port on the Router....not the WAN port.
Now everything is working fine.

Well, WLAN transfers are not as fast as they once were though, download to wifi client seems capped at 35MBs and upload to a LAN client is about 50MB's. I was seeing around 60 to 70MB's both ways, when the 86U was the main router, and not just an AP.

Odd thing, When I have setup a router in AP only mode, i have always been fine with it using the WAN port....but whatever.....