What's new

AC86U Auto Channel Questions..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matthew Patrick

So I'm currently using AC86U and I want to know if the auto channel mode is good in determining the best channel. I know AC86U supports channel utilization checking and interference checking and I was wondering if anyone knows if the auto channel mode considers that. Since in my place like I don't have anyone on channel 1 . And it was fine. Then the channel utilization starts being weird. It's so low. 10% etc. Even tho there isn't any neighboring AP or non wifi interference (said by the wifi radar option) . So I changed to channel 11. And then the channel capacity goes back up to 80% and I can see that the channel capacity on channel 1 is 0% . With no detected interference. So idk about that, I was wondering if the auto is smart enough to check about all those things. Since if it does , it's prob nice to use auto to make sure I'm always on the best channel.. I'd like to test it with 5ghz too but I can't since its gonna use 36 etc which is not supported here (even tho my unit is an official unit from my country with the whole warranty deal) . Sorry for the long post. Thank you

Auto is a sure thing of mediocrity.

Test all available channels properly to find the best one possible for your router, client devices and Wi-Fi environment.

Auto is a sure thing of mediocrity.

Test all available channels properly to find the best one possible for your router, client devices and Wi-Fi environment.

Yeah I always do that. But like the thing I explained on original post, sometimes an unknown interference just came on without me knowing. That's why i was thinking like if auto considers that too , it could be pretty nice haha

That's the thing, Auto can't consider that. It merely goes by a few base numbers and can't analyze non-WiFi sources of interference.

Choose a channel, reboot the router and ideally the client devices too, wait at least a day or two, and take good notes, then when all channels have been tested and the notes compared, you'll have the best possible answer for your specific router/network and environment.

That's the thing, Auto can't consider that. It merely goes by a few base numbers and can't analyze non-WiFi sources of interference.

Choose a channel, reboot the router and ideally the client devices too, wait at least a day or two, and take good notes, then when all channels have been tested and the notes compared, you'll have the best possible answer for your specific router/network and environment.
Yeh I guess I need to do it manually then. Thanks for the suggestion

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!