1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[AC86U] Can VPN server config be deleted?

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Patrick9876, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Patrick9876

Patrick9876 Occasional Visitor

I'm about to try creating a VPN (OpenVPN) server on my AC86U and expect needing to try a number of configurations before I get what I want. Is there a way to delete an instance of a VPN server without doing a factory reset? (The answer may be obvious once I've gone through the process, but I'd like to know before I start.) I notice that 2 instances are supported (at least under Merlin 384.14.2) but I expect I'll need more than 2 attempts.

If the instance cannot be deleted, can the configuration be changed an a new client definition be exported? If the answer is "Yes", are there options that cannot be changed?

The client is going to live on a laptop running Windows with internet connectivity provided by a tethered cell phone on an AT&T network. Windows, AT&T, and my ignorance may dictate changing my initial attempts at configuring the server.

Things that I may need to change:
    • Client VPN access (If Windows lets me use the VPN client to access my LAN and an Ethernet port to access everything else, I want "LAN only", but I suspect I will have to use the VPN for internet access.)
    • OpenVPN port (although I don't think AT&T blocks this)
    • VPN subnet (My ignorance. Is my LAN's subnet NATed to this?)

2. Patrick9876

OK. I've answered one of my questions. The default port it fine - not blocked.

And I sort of answered another: I don't think I need to give the VPN server internet access. My laptop was perfectly happy to continue using its Ethernet connection. In fact, I could not figure out how to get it to use the VPN connection. I was able to get a perfectly good VPN client-to-server connection but have no idea how to tell Windows to use it. I obviously need to find some Windows oriented OpenVPN doc. (There are many tutorials on how to install OpenVPN on Windows, how to run it, and how to make connections. I can find nothing on how to use it.)

3. Patrick9876

I'm going to abandon this thread because the original question is irrelevant. As near as I can tell, I can change server options on the fly without deleting and rebuilding the instance of the VPN server. New problems will be mentioned in a new thread.