What's new

AC86U Client list finds device assigned IP outside of DCHP address range???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JJJM

New Around Here
Installed a new RT-AC86U running ASUS latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386.40451 last night and linked it to a RT-AC68U setup as an AP. Was debugging the setup this AM and find 16 devices BUT one device in the client list outside of the DHCP address range. I did little to modify the AC86U settings so the standard address range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 is used after I changed the default device IP address from 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.1.1. The address of the unusual client is 192.168.101.22 listed as a 2.5G client with the non-specific name of ESP_C40E3F. The System Log finds a lease for this device of - ESP_C40E3F 192.168.101.22 e0:98:06:c4:0e:3f 23:54:34

What am I missing here? How can the router appear to assign an out of range address? Thank you very much for your time.

Screenshot 2020-12-04 090441.jpg

Installed a new RT-AC86U running ASUS latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386.40451 last night and linked it to a RT-AC68U setup as an AP. Was debugging the setup this AM and find 16 devices BUT one device in the client list outside of the DHCP address range. I did little to modify the AC86U settings so the standard address range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 is used after I changed the default device IP address from 192.168.50.1 to 192.168.1.1. The address of the unusual client is 192.168.101.22 listed as a 2.5G client with the non-specific name of ESP_C40E3F. The System Log finds a lease for this device of - ESP_C40E3F 192.168.101.22 e0:98:06:c4:0e:3f 23:54:34

What am I missing here? How can the router appear to assign an out of range address? Thank you very much for your time.

View attachment 28198

Asus recently revised guest1 WLANS for AiMesh 2.0 to use IPs like *.*.101.*. I wonder if that is what you are seeing.

OE

Asus recently revised guest1 WLANS for AiMesh 2.0 to use IPs like *.*.101.*. I wonder if that is what you are seeing.

OE
Thank you for taking the time to help.

That was it! Disabled the Guest network and the entry disappeared. Thank you again.

Additional info! When I turned the Guest Network back on after identification as above, the router now assigned an in range IP address. Go figure.

The new guest WLANs are likely a work-in-progress.

You might want to install the AiMesh 2.0 RC2-9 beta firmware... it's running well enough... install, reset, configure from scratch. Later, you will have to manually install the released firmware. Your wired AC68U AP(?) would become a wired AiMesh remote node. If wired, then set the AiMesh for Ethernet Backhaul Mode to release all WiFi for client use only. And set the remote node Connection Priority to 1G WAN first (Ethernet).

Guest WLANs can be set to sync across all AiMesh nodes.

OE

Thank you again!
I attempted AIMESH last night using the current ASUS firmware on the 86U and the current Merlin on the 68U but the AIMESH process always failed about halfway through. Really appreciate your setup steps and will definitely give them a run after I'm certain of network stability with new router.

Any idea on public release of final AIMESH candidate?

Thank you again!
I attempted AIMESH last night using the current ASUS firmware on the 86U and the current Merlin on the 68U but the AIMESH process always failed about halfway through. Really appreciate your setup steps and will definitely give them a run after I'm certain of network stability with new router.

Any idea on public release of final AIMESH candidate?

AiMesh 1.0 was released years ago. AiMesh 2.0 has been released recently for some models. I presume new AiMesh features will continue to be released periodically.

AiMesh deserves a fair shot. Install current and similar firmware, reset all, and configure the router/root node.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!