What's new

Ac86u dropping wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zaptor99

New Around Here
I've had my Ac86u for 1.5yrs with no issues. In the last 3 months, it started to automatically drop either 2.4ghz or 5ghz Wifi. About twice a month. A simple reboot fixes it.

Another time, the speed was down to 15 Mbps from the regular 1 gig. Again, a simple reboot fixed that.

When either WiFi drops, all my devices still see the ssid, but none can connect.

I'm always running latest merlin and I do a full reset after update.

How can I troubleshoot this issue if I need to know why this is happening instead of just rebooting the router?

Thx.

Go back to the firmware version you were using prior to experiencing the problems. If the problems persist that will eliminate the firmware as being the issue.

As previously stated revert the firmware, do a factory reset, do a nuclear reset.

If the problems persist exchange the AC86 on an RMA or buy another router. One of the complaints about AC86s has been their relatively short service life when compared to N66s or AC68s.

Please try the Asus stock firmware. 384.81918 should be the one for the AC86U. Set fixed channels with dual band smart connect. Don't change WIFI Professional settings! You might be surprised how well it works. Nuclear reset is not necessary. Just use the WPS button reset procedure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!