What's new

AC86U Firmware keeps updating automatically

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J.T.

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I am hopefully just overlooking the setting, but is there a way to keep my AC86U from updating to this new AiMesh firmware (3.0.0.4.384_10007) that was released a few days ago? I downgraded and within a hour, the new firmware was installed again automatically.

I don't recall my other Asus routers automatically pushing new firmware in the past. Is this new...?

Last edited:
Mine upgraded automatically as well. I thought it was due to me checking whether there was a new firmware. Have you been doing that?

I’ve noticed if you press check for upgrade: it says there’s a firmware upgrade available, but it’s the exact same version? Tagging this thread for @arthurlien and his team to check this one out.

Mine has done the last 2 automatically. I only noticed the latest one as it may have hung and I had to reboot the router the other day when nothing in the house could get to the internet. It does it as well on my other AC86U set as an access point. Though I haven't had to reboot that one.

Sam

The RT-AC86U has automatic firmware upgrade enabled in its code.

Code:
FORCE_AUTO_UPGRADE=y

I don't know any way for end-users to disable that, short of blacklisting the IP of Asus's update server.

The RT-AC86U has automatic firmware upgrade enabled in its code.

Code:
FORCE_AUTO_UPGRADE=y

I don't know any way for end-users to disable that, short of blacklisting the IP of Asus's update server.

Hmm, that's distressing. Does the auto-update feature still apply when using your FW?

Hmm, that's distressing. Does the auto-update feature still apply when using your FW?

For the standard firewall config, yep. As Merlin said, it appears the only way to stop the auto upgrade is to blacklist the ASUS update server(s). It would be necessary to figure out what those addresses are though.

No. I do provide new firmware notification support, however I refuse to implement any kind of automated update. A core network device is not something that should semi-randomly turn itself off to install a new firmware, potentially screw up your settings and your entire network in the process.

I wish Asus had at least made this an opt-out, but unfortunately they haven't.

At least the RT-AC86U does have a second firmware image partition, so it's not as risky as on their previous models where they were effectively writing to a live filesystem - this is why after a firmware flash your router might sometime crash and require a manual reboot.

It would be necessary to figure out what those addresses are though.

dlcdnet.asus.com

Note however that other services from Asus will require access to that site (including manual downloads from their support site).

Can Merlin firmware disable the auto update?
My firmware does not support auto update nor online updates. All updates must be manually downloaded.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!