What's new

AC86U got stronger 5G Wi-Fi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heidarren

Regular Contributor
I used to have an AC86U a year or two before, and noticed it performed better in high channels (149~161) than low channels (36~48) in US region, the FCC report almost pointed this out as low channels has 600mw+ and high channels has 900mw+. I’d sold it after months after using it.

Recently I bought another unit of it as it seems much stable than before, flashed it to the latest Merlin firmware and found the low channels performed much better than before.

Does anyone know if they changed anythings recently? Or they raised txpower to match the latest FCC power limit as that R7800 did before?

for different regions different power limits
even within the same country different restrictions may be imposed

max power 1w

as far as I know the new revision of the board was not

I used to have an AC86U a year or two before, and noticed it performed better in high channels (149~161) than low channels (36~48) in US region, the FCC report almost pointed this out as low channels has 600mw+ and high channels has 900mw+. I’d sold it after months after using it.

Recently I bought another unit of it as it seems much stable than before, flashed it to the latest Merlin firmware and found the low channels performed much better than before.

Does anyone know if they changed anythings recently? Or they raised txpower to match the latest FCC power limit as that R7800 did before?

2014 - https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...nfrastructure-u-nii-devices-in-the-5-ghz-band

I removed these restrictions in my router
now it works as it should
I have not changed the power parameter, but the router has a power margin

I researched the limitations of the regions in this router by changing my regin and regulator code
in some configurations it worked worse than the old N66
81381-clip-6kb.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!