What's new

AC86U - Lose WiFi on all devices - Disassoc Event Spam - Upgraded from 384.17 to 384.19

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

halsafar

New Around Here
This started happening as soon as I upgrade from 384.17 to 384.19.

About 10 minutes after a reboot the log is filling with this message for every WiFi device every ~30s or so:
Dec 13 10:38:28 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(481): eth5: Disassoc [redacted], status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)

After about 30 minutes of this log spam all my Android devices and Google home devices lose WiFi and I have to reboot the router.

I can find many posts about similar log spam, none of the offered solutions resolved the issue. I've tried the common suggestion of setting a single static value for Control Bandwidth and Control Channel on both 2.4g and 5g. This did not change anything about the problem.

I'm open to suggestions. Any steps I can take to help narrow down the cause? Should I just revert back to 384.17 (is that possible?)

Update: Downgrading to 384.17 seems to solve the WiFi issue but also leaves me unable to login due to 384.19 encrypting the passwords or something.

Last edited:
wlceventd is logged when a wireless client connects/disconnects.

Could be the clients do not like the channel you are using.

Could try going into wifi professional setting and disable airtime fairness.

I also disable roaming assistant on the AC86.

As long as you will have to do a factory reset, why not give 386.1 beta 1 a try.

When upgrading from the pre-384.19_0 firmware, you should've saved a backup of your JFFS partition before you flashed to the new 384.19_0.

After flashing, ideally, you should do a full reset including selecting the box to 'Initialize all settings...' before hitting the 'Restore' button. And, format the JFFS partition on the next boot too, and then proceed to reboot 3 times in the next 15 minutes (and waiting 5 to 10 minutes between each reboot).

For many though, simply formatting the JFFS partition (it shrunk 1MB for Asus security settings), rebooting 3 times, and then restoring the backup you made while still on the previous version of the firmware would be all that was required.

For yourself at this point, I suggest you need to move forward. Forget running the old firmware today.

Flash either the 384.19_0 release final or the 386.1 Beta 1 (or wait a few days for Beta 2 to be released for your firmware). Then proceed to do a full reset, format the JFFS partition, and do a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

The link in my signature may be helpful to get your router back to a good/known state and to have it use the defaults it's expecting (specifically, see the M&M Config and also the Nuclear Reset guides too).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!