What's new

AC86U No Samba on W10 Machine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ian Holl

Occasional Visitor
I recently upgraded from an AC87U to an AC86U but I can no longer access to the router's external HHD and USB via Wifi Samba. LAN is fine, it just seems to be via Wifi. The Windows 10 laptop I previously was able to access the router's external storage can no longer see the router. I have SMB 1.0 installed on the W10 machine.
Any suggestions?

Go into Turn Windows Features On and Off (Control Panel/Programs and Features) and check if SMB 1.0/CIFS Client....is not just installed but turned on

Last edited:
I've double checked and SMB is enabled. I'm stumped. I've got all the workgroup names configured correctly, print and file sharing enabled, as well as Samba enabled with the relevant accounts and file permissions set on the router. I think a Windows update may have broken something as I've reading a few posts where people have had issues accessing their NAS drives after a build update. I installed a Samba app for my phone and accessed the NAS on my phone so who knows.

Exactly what "Samba app" did you install on your phone? If I assume correctly and you want to access video files, I would strongly recommend VLC Player.
That being said, I had irregular but more or less continuous problems of a similar nature while using the RT-AC86U (for just over a year). Once in a while I would completely lose wi-fi connection to the NAS, but sometimes LAN as well. On some occasions everything would come back to normal of its own accord, on others I would have to reset the router.
Some point to a Windows 10 update breaking the functionality, while others explain it by buggy Asus firmware - or a combination of both.
I never did get to the bottom of this, though, as my RT-AC86U finally broke down and I got a refund.
And one more thing - does ftp work (if of course you have it enabled)?

Exactly what "Samba app" did you install on your phone? If I assume correctly and you want to access video files, I would strongly recommend VLC Player.
That being said, I had irregular but more or less continuous problems of a similar nature while using the RT-AC86U (for just over a year). Once in a while I would completely lose wi-fi connection to the NAS, but sometimes LAN as well. On some occasions everything would come back to normal of its own accord, on others I would have to reset the router.
Some point to a Windows 10 update breaking the functionality, while others explain it by buggy Asus firmware - or a combination of both.
I never did get to the bottom of this, though, as my RT-AC86U finally broke down and I got a refund.
And one more thing - does ftp work (if of course you have it enabled)?

I installed AndSMB (samba client) via the Playstore on an Android phone and it worked first time flawlessy. I just want to access a shared folder of the NAS connected to the AC86U from my daughter's laptop so she can save and open her homework. It worked fine on my AC87U, but since upgrading to the AC86U it can no longer see the router's share. LAN is fine, it's just wireless. Maybe I'll have to try to reset the router. FTP does work. I just cannot see the NAS via Window's Network file explorer.

OK, my misjudgment, assumed you were having problems with video files - and for those I would strongly recommend VLC Player, either for Android or Windows. The others (the few I tried) seemed to be very hit-and-miss.
I would recommend rebooting the router (not necessarily resetting to factory defaults) - this usually helped, even if short-term.
Since FTP does work, and yet you can't see the NAS in Windows Network, I think it would point to a Windows 10 update problem, perhaps less firmware bug.
And one more question, kind of by the way - have you set your router up for DLNA, and if yes, then can you access it on your TV? I struggled with this for twelve months solid, but no go.

I've double checked and SMB is enabled. I'm stumped. I've got all the workgroup names configured correctly, print and file sharing enabled, as well as Samba enabled with the relevant accounts and file permissions set on the router. I think a Windows update may have broken something as I've reading a few posts where people have had issues accessing their NAS drives after a build update. I installed a Samba app for my phone and accessed the NAS on my phone so who knows.

I know everytimeI clean install Win 10, I can't reach my NAS and have to enable SMB 1. But since you have I'm not sure. Stock Asus doesn't support SMB 2 but I beleive Merlin does. Perhaps try Merlin. Unfortunately, Merlin doesn't support AiMesh so if you are using AiMesh that is not an option.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!