What's new

AC86U Port Trigger not working (CoD Modern Warfare 2019)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NeeWii

New Around Here
[Also posted to the Asus AC Routers forum - apologies if one of these posts is in the wrong place]

Hello, does anyone have any experience with port triggering on the RT-AC86U, and could advise if there is a known issue or if I have set this up incorrectly? I'm looking to use port triggering, rather than port forwarding, as I have two xboxes in the house that I will use interchangeably, and I would prefer not to have to reconfigure port forwarding every time I change xbox. Having set up triggering per the below image, I'm still getting "Nat Type: Moderate" in Modern Warfare.

[Edit] - I should probably add, I do have uPnP enabled already, which works great for getting open NATs simultaneously on both Xboxes within their OS Settings, but Call of Duty Modern Warfare doesn't seem to get picked up by the uPnP at all and the ports are not getting opened/mapped - hence the need for port triggering.

I'm running Merlin firmware v384.13.

Ports required to be forwarded per https://portforward.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare/ are:

XFuNWIj.png

My Port Trigger config on the WAN settings page:

SvRFxoe.png

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
That's not what port triggering is for.

Port triggering is an old obsolete technology that was used back in the day so you could conditionally forward a port *IF* there was traffic sent on a different port. The most common use for this was IRC - outbound traffic on port 6660-6669 would trigger a port forward on port 113 for identd inbound requests.

In your case, you will first need to determine which ports are used inbound, and which are used outbound. For outbound ports, you don't need to do anything at all. For inbound ports, these will have to be configured in the Virtual Servers page, as port forwards.

Thanks for the explanation - much appreciated. Given the game uses the same port on both consoles then, I assume there’s no way to achieve an open NAT on both consoles without having to manually change the port forwarding to the console I’m using each time?

You can't forward the same port to 2 different local ip's at the same time (afaik).

From a quick look at the ports, the game is probably sending the online server (channel) list thru TCP 3074. Try not fowarding this port and see if you can see server list on all your consoles.
UDP are most likely used to connect to servers. Try opening 3074 udp on Console 1 and 3075 on console 2 (or 3544 and 5000)

You could always DMZ one of your consoles, but that would be a last resort type of thing.

I have never had to bother with port triggering with modern routers for console or pc mp, just use UPNP with secure mode on which should be default.

@NeeWii
Set nat filtering to full cone that's the issue I had it on the ax 88u, with both my Xbox one X and my switch, soon as I did that it flicked straight to open.

It's under wan then Nat filtering it will be symmetric change it to fullcone then it should be fine.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!