What's new

AC86U - Problem updating firmware from 3.0.0.384 to 3.0.0.4.386_45956

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ggeinec

Occasional Visitor
I'm setting up a new AC86U, never used. It came with firmware v3.0.0.4.384. I hooked it up, took it through the initial setup, established SSIDs, passwords, etc., just to make sure everything was connected and working properly. It was. Then I tried to update to the latest firmware using the GUI but I got the 'cannot connect to ASUS server' error, maybe because of the big jump in versions.

So I downloaded v3.0.0.4.386_45956, extracted it, and used 'Method 2' in the firmware update section in the GUI to load it. The GUI closed, the router did its thing and the GUI login screen popped up again. That was fast.

I entered the username\password, the GUI opened to the Network Map page and showed the new firmware version at the top. The System Status section showed the values I had entered during my manual setup. One strange thing I noticed is that the SSID passwords were visible, not dotted out like they usually are. I clicked on one to see if I could hide it. At that point the contents of the whole System Status section disappeared and the GUI has been frozen now for a half hour or so with 'Transferring data from 192.168.50.1...' down in the lower left corner.

Now what? I don't want to do anything to brick this router so I'm being super (overly) cautious . . . and waiting . . .

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I do have internet via ethernet through the router, but no WiFi.

I'm setting up a new AC86U, never used. It came with firmware v3.0.0.4.384. I hooked it up, took it through the initial setup, established SSIDs, passwords, etc., just to make sure everything was connected and working properly. It was. Then I tried to update to the latest firmware using the GUI but I got the 'cannot connect to ASUS server' error, maybe because of the big jump in versions.

So I downloaded v3.0.0.4.386_45956, extracted it, and used 'Method 2' in the firmware update section in the GUI to load it. The GUI closed, the router did its thing and the GUI login screen popped up again. That was fast.

I entered the username\password, the GUI opened to the Network Map page and showed the new firmware version at the top. The System Status section showed the values I had entered during my manual setup. One strange thing I noticed is that the SSID passwords were visible, not dotted out like they usually are. I clicked on one to see if I could hide it. At that point the contents of the whole System Status section disappeared and the GUI has been frozen now for a half hour or so with 'Transferring data from 192.168.50.1...' down in the lower left corner.

Now what? I don't want to do anything to brick this router so I'm being super (overly) cautious . . . and waiting . . .

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I do have internet via ethernet through the router, but no WiFi.
OK. I think I'm alright now. I did a button reset on the 86U and went back through the initial setup again.

Tomorrow I'll go through the settings again using L&LD's baseline list. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!