What's new

AC86U Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Josh Shep

New Around Here
Hi,

So I purchased two RT-AC86U routers to handle my connection, I was planning on using the 2nd as a AiMesh node but to be honest I'm getting better results using the single 86U.

I've upgraded from the 68U and happy to see it was worth the upgrade.

But I'm using my old 68U in bridge mode that's connected to the 86U to handle my Xbox one X. As for some reason certain games don't like playing over WiFi. FIFA 20 for eg. I got "speed up lag" playing over WiFi but not now using LAN in bridge mode to the 86U. Strange I know, as technically it's still wireless, but the console thinks it's LAN, but anyway it's fixed my problem. But I'm stuck with another new 86U now.

My question is, would I see any benefit using the other new 86U as a bridge as opposed to the old 68U? Or would performance be the same?

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
Josh

Hi,

So I purchased two RT-AC86U routers to handle my connection, I was planning on using the 2nd as a AiMesh node but to be honest I'm getting better results using the single 86U.

I've upgraded from the 68U and happy to see it was worth the upgrade.

But I'm using my old 68U in bridge mode that's connected to the 86U to handle my Xbox one X. As for some reason certain games don't like playing over WiFi. FIFA 20 for eg. I got "speed up lag" playing over WiFi but not now using LAN in bridge mode to the 86U. Strange I know, as technically it's still wireless, but the console thinks it's LAN, but anyway it's fixed my problem. But I'm stuck with another new 86U now.

My question is, would I see any benefit using the other new 86U as a bridge as opposed to the old 68U? Or would performance be the same?

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
Josh

The 86U has stronger hardware including the WiFi (4x4 on 5.o GHz), so assuming no firmware issues, it should perform 'better' than the 68U... although I don't know if you'll notice anything like better game play.

A 2nd 86U on hand can be backup hardware to the site router, and will serve better in an AiMesh should you need that for extending WiFi coverage.

Did you try a 2x86U AiMesh with your media devices wired to the node?... performance ok?

OE

Last edited:
The 86U has stronger hardware including the WiFi (4x4 on 5.o GHz), so assuming no firmware issues, it should perform 'better' than the 68U... although I don't know if you'll notice anything like better game play.

A 2nd 86U on hand can be backup hardware to the site router, and will serve better in an AiMesh should you need that for extending WiFi coverage.

Did you try a 2x86U AiMesh with your media devices wired to the node?... performance ok?

OE

Thank you for the reply.

Brilliant, I'll keep it, and get the 68U sold. Been a cracking router, lasted me 6 years with no issues.

'Did you try a 2x86U AiMesh with your media devices wired to the node?... performance ok?"

I didn't no, I'm not in a position to set up a wired connection to the node.

My setup on AiMesh required a wireless setup, but my house isn't that big, the performance using the single 86U outperforms the X2 on Mesh.

I've kept the 2nd as a media bridge and getting brilliant results.

Thanks OE!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!