1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AC86U Question

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Josh Shep, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Josh Shep

Josh Shep New Around Here

Hi,

So I purchased two RT-AC86U routers to handle my connection, I was planning on using the 2nd as a AiMesh node but to be honest I'm getting better results using the single 86U.

I've upgraded from the 68U and happy to see it was worth the upgrade.

But I'm using my old 68U in bridge mode that's connected to the 86U to handle my Xbox one X. As for some reason certain games don't like playing over WiFi. FIFA 20 for eg. I got "speed up lag" playing over WiFi but not now using LAN in bridge mode to the 86U. Strange I know, as technically it's still wireless, but the console thinks it's LAN, but anyway it's fixed my problem. But I'm stuck with another new 86U now.

My question is, would I see any benefit using the other new 86U as a bridge as opposed to the old 68U? Or would performance be the same?

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
    Josh

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

The 86U has stronger hardware including the WiFi (4x4 on 5.o GHz), so assuming no firmware issues, it should perform 'better' than the 68U... although I don't know if you'll notice anything like better game play.

A 2nd 86U on hand can be backup hardware to the site router, and will serve better in an AiMesh should you need that for extending WiFi coverage.

Did you try a 2x86U AiMesh with your media devices wired to the node?... performance ok?

OE

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Clark Griswald likes this.
  3. Josh Shep

Thank you for the reply.

Brilliant, I'll keep it, and get the 68U sold. Been a cracking router, lasted me 6 years with no issues.

4. Josh Shep

'Did you try a 2x86U AiMesh with your media devices wired to the node?... performance ok?"

I didn't no, I'm not in a position to set up a wired connection to the node.

My setup on AiMesh required a wireless setup, but my house isn't that big, the performance using the single 86U outperforms the X2 on Mesh.

I've kept the 2nd as a media bridge and getting brilliant results.

Thanks OE!

OzarkEdge likes this.