What's new

AC86U random disconnects but stay on

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KimN

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to find anyone with similar issue as mine but failed, only to find similar issues.

Currently I have my ISP router set to bridge and connected to my AC86U.

What happens is I will lose connections when trying to connect to something new, which includes refresh a website, enter a new one, open a game, anything that I try to connect it will display as if I have no internet. The funny part is if I am in a Discord call, in game, live streaming or anything my connection with such site/software stays and I am able to keep talking with my friends even though I can’t browser a single website. If I wait long enough sometimes it comes back to normal but it can take like 30min, and the quick solution is to just restart.
It will occur 1-2 every 7 days and I am on my last hopes to find a fix to it.

Tried leaving DNS automatic and on Google’s as it seemed it was a DNS issue, but no success.

The closest similar threatto my problem I could find was stuff like this (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/your-isps-dhcp-does-not-function-correctly.43178/) which I didn’t want to “hijack” the threat.

Right now I have just changed my WAN DHCP query frequency from aggressive mode to continuous mode to see how it goes and the IPv6 has always been offline.

If the problem continues my last attempt will be normal mode on Wan DHCP.

Any suggestions are very welcome!
Thanks

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to find anyone with similar issue as mine but failed, only to find similar issues.

Currently I have my ISP router set to bridge and connected to my AC86U.

What happens is I will lose connections when trying to connect to something new, which includes refresh a website, enter a new one, open a game, anything that I try to connect it will display as if I have no internet. The funny part is if I am in a Discord call, in game, live streaming or anything my connection with such site/software stays and I am able to keep talking with my friends even though I can’t browser a single website. If I wait long enough sometimes it comes back to normal but it can take like 30min, and the quick solution is to just restart.
It will occur 1-2 every 7 days and I am on my last hopes to find a fix to it.

Tried leaving DNS automatic and on Google’s as it seemed it was a DNS issue, but no success.

The closest similar threatto my problem I could find was stuff like this (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/your-isps-dhcp-does-not-function-correctly.43178/) which I didn’t want to “hijack” the threat.

Right now I have just changed my WAN DHCP query frequency from aggressive mode to continuous mode to see how it goes and the IPv6 has always been offline.

If the problem continues my last attempt will be normal mode on Wan DHCP.

Any suggestions are very welcome!
Thanks

Is your 86U two years old? If could be dying. Mine had intermittent trouble resolving URLs for awhile and then it died.

OE

What firmware are you running on it? When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults? And then minimally and manually configured the router? Sounds like an M&M Config followed after doing a full Nuclear Reset is in order here. Your network experiences are not normal. Why did you put up with this for the last two years? :)

Fully Reset Router and Network

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

Is your 86U two years old? If could be dying. Mine had intermittent trouble resolving URLs for awhile and then it died.

OE

Routers should last nearly forever.
It shouldn't be dying after two years!

Mine drops connections to my ISP unless I use "spoof TTL values". Running behind a modem in bridge mode, same as OP.
Have various other problems as well.

I've yet to find out why.

What firmware are you running on it? When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults? And then minimally and manually configured the router? Sounds like an M&M Config followed after doing a full Nuclear Reset is in order here. Your network experiences are not normal. Why did you put up with this for the last two years? :)

Fully Reset Router and Network

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

I believe the firmware I was using the Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072, but right before I've made this post I updated it to the newest one Version 3.0.0.4.386.40451.

Last time I've done a full reset to factory was probably like 6 months ago or so when I did a firmware update which I can't remember =(.

I am not sure on how a minimally or manually configuration would be, I do set some ips for some devices, try to turn of some crap the router comes right out of the box but no sure what I can remove. I did remove/setup a few configs over time though.

The thing about M&M is why would anyone buy a expensive router just to turn everything it has off, I know is for a elimination process but gosh why these things can't just work properly o_O.
I haven't had 5g on router of since one week with it, wifi was instable, couldn't find tv and stuff, after a lot of research found out air fairness was the issue. That is one thing, had a lot of turn on and off to try to fix these. But this problem I described at OP is the big boy, I can't. Still waiting for the error to ocurr again since yesterday when I switched to continuous mode on dhcp query frequency.

Btw I appreciate a lot the help!

Edit: You've asked how I've put up with this for so long, honestly I've always fault the blame was with my ISP :p, since where I live they are not well known for stable services. Started to suspect it wasn't not long ago.

Last edited:
Routers should last nearly forever.
It shouldn't be dying after two years!
Mine drops connections to my ISP unless I use "spoof TTL values". Running behind a modem in bridge mode, same as OP.
Have various other problems as well.

I've yet to find out why.

You sound more indignant about it than I was.

Fortunately, Asus replaced one of them under warranty.

OP has had their issue since the beginning, so not a new problem but could still be a hardware issue.

You should start a new thread to discover your issue.

OE

Just a quick update, when I've made this post I've had just switched from aggressive mode to continuous mode on DHCP query frequency, and today I've had the same issue happen again still, so it didn't fix it unfortunately. I've then switch from continuous mode to normal mode(which I've never tried) and that was all it took for the internet to instant start making new connections again. I was live streaming when the glitch happened and my live was still on, could read chat, they could see/hear me but I couldn't join a new game. This thing is so bizarre I can't even think what else could be causing it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!