AC86U router temperature

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Markfree

Regular Contributor
I'm using the following method to check my AC86U router temperature from the command line.
CPU, 2.4GHz radio and 5GHz radio:
Code:
# cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

# wl -i eth5 phy_tempsense | awk '{ print $1/2+20 }'

# wl -i eth6 phy_tempsense | awk '{ print $1/2+20 }'
Is there another way to check the radio chips temperature?

Thanks

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Yes, just look at the Tools tab and also see the CPU temps too. :)

Markfree

Regular Contributor
Yes, just look at the Tools tab and also see the CPU temps too. :)
Thanks for the tip L&LD.
Do you happen to know if there's, maybe, another command we can issue to check temperature? Or maybe we can read a file just like CPU temp?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
No, I don't. Maybe some else can help here. :)

Markfree

Regular Contributor
For CPU
cat /proc/dmu/temperature
That doesn't work on my AC86U.

You can read CPU temperature using
Code:
# cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
or
# cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

But I was hopping to find some similar reading method, if it does exist, for wireless radios.

Markfree

Regular Contributor
To run "wl" command, I guess root is necessary.
Could I run wl -i eth5 phy_tempsense | awk '{ print $1/2+20 }' as a non-root user?

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
To run "wl" command, I guess root is necessary.
Could I run wl -i eth5 phy_tempsense | awk '{ print $1/2+20 }' as a non-root user?
Why don't you just try it for yourself? :confused:

Reactions: a5m

Markfree

Regular Contributor
I'm not very good with console commands, but I'll be happy if you could give me some directions.
How would I try that at the router? Or, how could I permit a non-root user to run specific commands? o_O

I'm using Zabbix to monitor my router and to gather data. So, I installed Zabbix-agent and it uses user "zabbix" to collect data. This user is limited though.
Code:
zabbix:x:501:501::/dev/null:/dev/null
At the Zabbix server side, by using "zabbix_get" I'm able to test monitored items, like CPU temperature.
Code:
$ zabbix_get -s diasdm -p 10050 -k "system.run[cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp]"

When I try to read wireless radio temperature it gives me an error.
Code:
$ zabbix_get -s diasdm -p 10050 -k "system.run[wl -i eth5 phy_tempsense | awk '{print $1/2+20}']"
wl: wl driver adapter not found

With that I assumed there's a permission error, since "wl" is not capable to run.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Well, it can't bend a spoon that's not there. But what sort of 'Linux Capabilities' were you specifically thinking about?

Markfree

Regular Contributor
I was reading about setting user-id permissions and came across Linux Capabilities. As I understood, it provides a subset of the available root privileges to a process, like explainded in this article.
I was hopping to set some capabilities permission to "/usr/sbin/wl" but could not find any of those:
"setcap"
"getcap"
"capsh"

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
No the router doesn't have those commands.

TeknoGod

New Around Here
heyo

im 86u owner for a while now
iv'e tested router performance with/out external fans and my god it does make a difference
router without external fans got to a temps high as 70-75C
with fans it got to low as 49 C

https://imgur.com/a/pJvpWcH

jpthsd

Regular Contributor
heyo

im 86u owner for a while now
iv'e tested router performance with/out external fans and my god it does make a difference
router without external fans got to a temps high as 70-75C
with fans it got to low as 49 C

https://imgur.com/a/pJvpWcH
Yes, I kept watching the temp, it's averaging 65-75C ,, I guess you use pull configuration so the external fan will pull the heat out from the back of the AC86U?

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
@TeknoGod @jpthsd That's not really relevant to this thread. There are lots of other threads and posts specifically discussing attaching fans to the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!