1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AC86U sometimes powers completely off during reboot

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by madfusker, Aug 12, 2018.

1. madfusker

madfusker Regular Contributor

Occationally when I reboot (either through the GUI, or reboot command in a terminal), my 86U powers off completely, even though the power button is still on. Typically not a problem as I can go toggle the button, but a huge problem when I am remote! So when this happens, all lights are off and I have to either unplug and plug back in, or I can toggle the power button off, followed by pushing back in to power it on again.

Has anyone else seen this? And if so, how can I avoid it happening?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

First recommendation.....don't use 'reboot', use 'service reboot'. 'reboot' by itself just yanks the rug out from under the kernel.....'service reboot' allows the router to go through an orderly shutdown.

4. Treadler

Treadler Regular Contributor

Yes, reboot via GUI sometimes powers my 86u off.
    More nuisance value than anything, I just unplug/replug, & off it goes......

5. madfusker

Good to know it's not just my router. But, still, very annoying if managing remotely.

Treadler likes this.
  6. Butterfly Bones

Butterfly Bones Senior Member

I get the same thing via GUI or terminal on my 86U, and it is off as I sit here and wait for it to come back up. :oops:

Thanks John9257 for the better reboot method. I'm a long term Linux user and wish the shutdown command worked in Asus routers, but now "service reboot" will be what I use.

7. Marin

Marin Regular Contributor

Sorry but what is a "service reboot" ?

8. john9527

This is really strange, there are cases where the reboot will hang, but as far as I know there is no mechanism for actually powering down. Just to confirm, there are no LEDs lit, including the power LED when this happens?

Marin likes this.
  9. john9527

when working logged in to the router and entering commands. There is a Linux based 'reboot' command and and a router firmware based 'service reboot' command which will orderly shut down the router services before rebooting linux.

Quoc Huynh likes this.
  10. Marin

Marin Regular Contributor

Interesting...good to know. Thank you @john9527!

11. madfusker

Correct, no lights on at all. I've never seen a router do this before, ever, so thought I would report it.

I will use the service command from now on and see if it does it again. @Merlin maybe we can make the GUI reboot button execute the service reboot command?

Quoc Huynh and Treadler like this.
  12. Butterfly Bones

Butterfly Bones Senior Member

Yes, in my experience, exactly that. No power led, no front led. Try to SSH in and no connection.

Treadler likes this.
  13. john9527

The gui does call 'service reboot' already

Quoc Huynh and Butterfly Bones like this.
  14. Pierino

Pierino Very Senior Member

15. Treadler

Yup, dead. To wake it up, either unplug/replug, or click the power switch on, & wait for the router to go through its boot up routine.

16. john9527

Interesting. All the LEDs are actually controlled by the firmware, so in this case the reboot must be hanging even before it reads the power status and sets the LED (in other words, really early)

Butterfly Bones and Treadler like this.
  17. Treadler

Curiouser & curiouser!

18. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Regular Contributor

Yes me too... thank God I don’t reboot often.

19. Gitsum

Gitsum Regular Contributor

Same here.

20. madfusker

Pretty crazy.... I suppose the stock firmware does this too? Not that it matters since none of us are going there. Just wondering if it's something that Merlin could fix at some point. Maybe sometime when I don't need internets I will leave it hung for an hour and see if it's still warm, which would indicate it's not a true power off and hung in the black hole as you indicated.

21. kvic

kvic Part of the Furniture

Recalling from my days of using Asus 56U..that's a few years ago.

Command line reboot and GUI reboot used to be the same. Calling the same set of routines to shutdown services and then reboot the hardware gracefully.

Some time in 380.xx. This was broken. Perhaps by Asus. I reported the issue on this forum. No one cares. Neither me want to debug further back then. I believe it's possible to restore the consistency.

The 86U reboot issue surely looks like a new bug. Perhaps it's good chance for Asus or anybody else to re-visit the reboot feature altogether.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!