What's new

AC86U - Two questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ecomm1

New Around Here
I have an AC86U VPN router.

1. Currently using it as a VPN with a pass through my existing router. All is working well but I am unable to access my Umbrel.node when it is connected to the VPN router. ( umbrel.local/start ) Even if I type in the actual IP address.
I was told I can set up an exemption for local IPS in VPN settings, but I do not see where I would create this.

2. Is there a way I can turn OFF the WIFI ( 2.4 & 5 ) ? I am currently using existing non-VPN router.

Thanks,
Ron

Or you can press the button on the right side that disables wifi radios. :)

That is what I do. It makes it easy to re-enable the wifi in the event I need to access the unit directly without having to connect to it via an ethernet port.

Thanks! both answers worked.
Any idea on if there's a way to create a local IPS expemtion so I can load Umbrel on the VPN router through my main router ?

Thanks,
Ron

.local are mDNS names and therefore will not be resolvable across a routed VPN connection. You will have to use the IP address. If it still doesn't work then check the firewall on the Umbrel server.

I disconnected my conventional router and connect my VPN router. Found my umbrel node IP and was able to connect to my node ( via IP # or umbrel.local/start ). When I reconnected conventional router and hooked up my VPN router, I am not able to find the IP or connect to node ( umbrel.local/start )
Should I create an firewall exclusion for the IP on my VPN router and if so, does make my node vulnerable to the internet ?

Thanks,
Ron

I think your terminology is confusing matters.

What do you mean by "VPN router"? Is the router a VPN server or a VPN client?
What do you mean by "with a pass through my existing router"?
"but I am unable to access my Umbrel.node when it is connected to the VPN router" - Are you attempting to connect to it locally or remotely? How exactly are you doing this?

Sorry for my terminology. I have a conventional router. I purchased a VPN router ( ASUS AC86U - https://www.asus.com/us/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-wifi-routers/rt-ac86u/ )
Want to connect crypto miners, bitcoin node and basic miner to VPN router. ( No way to connect ASIC miner to VPN software. ) VPN router allows me to install NORD VPN software on router and all output will go through NORD VPN.
My cable modem goes to my conventional router. One output from conventional router goes to VPN router input. The VPN router "passes through" the conventional router and I have internet access on both routers. The above mentioned miners are connected to the VPN router.
My umbrel node is a raspberry pi. If I hook that up to the conventional router, it works fine ( Type IP address OR umbrel.local/start ).
IF I disconnect conventional router and hook modem up directly to VPN router, I can access it by IP address or umbrel.local/start ) If I record this IP then connect back up as previously mentioned, I cannot access access the umbrel node via previously recorded IP number or umbrel.local/start. ( Not found )

This is how I set it up -

IF I disconnect conventional router and hook modem up directly to VPN router, I can access it by IP address or umbrel.local/start ) If I record this IP then connect back up as previously mentioned, I cannot access access the umbrel node via previously recorded IP number or umbrel.local/start. ( Not found )
Is the PC you're using connected directly to the VPN router (LAN port or WiFi) or is it connected to the "conventional" router? The PC and the Umbrel.node both need to be connected to the VPN router's LAN.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!