What's new

AC86U with Ultrafast Fibre setup (FTTP)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whhaatt

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys

I am going to be getting FTTP installed in the next few days, however I do not want to use the ISP router, as it is not good.
Has anyone got a guide on how to setup the WAN connection for FTTP.

I am currently with Plusnet, which is the same setup (more or less) as BT/EE and looking to have a 500Mbps installed. I have read that you have to input username and password, however I do not have a PPPOE option only.
I do have the Account settings option, is this the same thing?
(Under WAN > WAN - Internet Connection > Account Settings > Authentication > 802.1x)?

1655191808527.png

Also is their anything else that needs to be setup. I already have the VPN and Director bits setup, just need help with the WAN for FTTP setup.
Current firmware is Merlin 386.4

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Guys

I am going to be getting FTTP installed in the next few days, however I do not want to use the ISP router, as it is not good.
Has anyone got a guide on how to setup the WAN connection for FTTP.

I am currently with Plusnet, which is the same setup (more or less) as BT/EE and looking to have a 500Mbps installed. I have read that you have to input username and password, however I do not have a PPPOE option only.
I do have the Account settings option, is this the same thing?
(Under WAN > WAN - Internet Connection > Account Settings > Authentication > 802.1x)?

View attachment 41858

Also is their anything else that needs to be setup. I already have the VPN and Director bits setup, just need help with the WAN for FTTP setup.
Current firmware is Merlin 386.4

Any help would be appreciated.
Upgrade to the latest Merlin firmware. If you're having an ONT box installed you don't need to changed anything as it doesn't use PPPOE, just plug an ethernet cable from the ONT to the WAN port on the Asus.

Upgrade to the latest Merlin firmware. If you're having an ONT box installed you don't need to changed anything as it doesn't use PPPOE, just plug an ethernet cable from the ONT to the WAN port on the Asus.
Ta thanks,

Defo will be an ONT box, so will give it a whirl when it is installed in 2 days time.

Thanks for the quick response muffintastic
Lovelyjubly

Whether you need PPPoE is determined by the ISP you subscribe to, the ONT is effectively transparent.

If you use BT as the ISP then you will need to set the WAN connection type in the basic section at the top to PPPoE.

Other ISPs may not need it, such as TalkTalk FTTP over the openreach network.

The Thinkbroadband forums are a good resource, there's many threads where people ask for 3rd party router settings.

In the end it was very easy, I just plugged in the new FTTP ONT Ethernet cable to the Asus WAN socket, logged into the router UI and clicked on Quick Internet Setup (followed the wizard) and all done (I did need to use a login and password, which can be obtained from ISP, for 3rd party routers)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!